chapter sixteen

~♛~

~♛~

gracie waited outside of the phone booth, her hands shoved in her pockets, hiding them away from the snow.

her eyes were puffy, and her throat was dry; all the moisture being soaked up by the sharp, icy air.

'we were trying to get out of town.
we couldn't stay in riverdale.
not with our father being tried for murder.'

"hey, guess what? gracie and i booked a bus ticket to toledo. yeah, um, we thought we'd come and see you and jellybean for a while. we could crash on the couc—mhm....no...
i— i understand. look, uh, forget i said anything, okay? bye..." jughead put down the phone and slammed the door to the phone booth.

gracie looked up and he shook his head. "no. she— she said no."

the girl sighed and put her face in her hands, picking up her bag from beneath her feet and slinging it over her shoulders, as they walked back inside of the bus station.

"hey, we uh.. changed our minds about toledo. can you just put us on whatever the next bus out of town is? we don't even care where it's going.." gracie told the woman in the booth.

"citrusville, florida." she said, stamping their tickets. "leaving tommorow at six."
the siblings nodded in thanks.
"lobby closes in fifteen minutes, reopens at 5:30."

they looked at each other and sighed.
"pop's?" gracie suggested.

jug nodded at her and adjusted his beanie.

~♛~

gracie sipped her warm cup of coffee, fiddling with the hem of her sleeve.
jughead was opposite her, sitting in silence and staring out of the window.

"you kids want some fries or something?" pop tate asked, taking pity on the jones siblings.

they didn't reply.

the bell rang at the door, notifying that there were new customers entering the diner.
"told you." veronica told betty and archie, pointing at jughead and gracie who were sitting in a booth at the back.

"jug, grace." archie called.

"guys, we're so sorry." betty apologised, her eyes displaying a look of worry. "about everything."

"we screwed up. we all did. and breaking into your dad's trailer was wrong, but at least one good thing came out of it." archie said.