chapter twenty-three

~♛~

~♛~

"no one's here." betty sighed, as they waited for people to arrive at the pop's fundraiser. "no one's coming."

"it's still early, okay?" jughead assured.

alice came through the door, pushing some balloons out of her way.
"mom." betty greeted. "did you come to gloat?"

"don't be so cynical, elizabeth." mrs cooper clasped her hands together. "i came to write my next story over one last root-beer float. i'm calling it 'requiem for pop's'. can i get a quote, dear?"

"you're a fiend, mother. but this is one obituary you're not gonna write."

~♛~

"two strawberry milkshakes, one vanilla and one chocolate— with extra malt." gracie smiled, serving a group of customers. she was helping out with the fundraiser by waiting-tables.

"betty, why did you broadcast all over social media that the pussycats would be performing a free concert here?" josie exclaimed.

"i knew if i'd asked, you would've said—"

"—no! exactly! if my mom hears that i even set foot in this place—"

"josie, you care about this place!" gracie stepped in. "i know you do. i see you here all the time."

she sighed. "even if i wanted to help, i'm down a cat. valerie has the flu."

"i don't mind stepping in." cheryl volunteered. "if you can be a river vixen, josie, then i can be a pussycat. as long as it's a cover, i'll know the lyrics."

"you do love your cheese fries." melody encouraged josie.

"fine— fine."

betty clapped her hands jubilantly.

~♛~

8:45 pm
—————————————————————
jug👑🍔

dad just called me
he seemed mad that i went to talk to penny
he said not to contact her again
and if she reaches out... not to respond

wtf
that's so weird

ik
maybe we can't trust her as much as we think