chapter twenty-eight

~♛~

~♛~

'meanwhile, betty cooper had finally
confessed to her friends that the reason she had been in such a foul mood recently, and alienating herself from them, was because the black hood had been calling her.

messing with her mind.

trying to get her to cut off everyone close to her.

this revelation resulted in the rekindling of her friendships with the core five and relationship with jughead jones.'

~♛~

"i can't believe you didn't tell me that penny peabody made you and archie run drugs! i mean, what the fuck, juggy?" gracie exclaimed.

"i didn't tell you because i knew you would try and get involved. you have a bad track-record and you can't risk another offence."

"well, what did you find? any truth to what that creepy truck driver said about that murdered family?" betty asked.

"yes, shockingly, freddy krueger didn't lie to me." he pulled out a newspaper clipping. "a family of four was murdered by someone the press called 'the riverdale reaper'. the victims were jim and mary-ellen conway and their kids. tommy was ten and sue was nine. the reaper was never caught or identified, so he could be our black hood— but i'm dubious. he would be in his 60s by now."

"why did he kill them?"

"the reporter of the article talked to a sheriff at the time, who thought the killer chose at random or because their house was isolated. it was at the edge of fox forest, down a service road." jug pushed forward the newspaper clipping. "look, there's a picture of it."

"oh my god..." betty murmured. "i've been to this house. the black hood sent me to it as part of his game—"

"well, there's definitely a link between the hood and the reaper." gracie nodded. "we should talk to keller, pull some files form the murders— at least get a list of all the players."

"no, i can't go to sheriff keller." betty shook her head. "not after i accused him of being the black hood."

"right... that would be awkward. we could go to the house?" my brother suggested.

"i can't go back there, jug. he made me look in the mirror, and what i saw staring back at me— i don't wanna do that again."

"hey." he took betty's hands in his. "then you don't have to, okay?"
his phone rang, and he put it to his ear.
"hello? yes, i'll accept the charges. wow—
this is—thank you."
he put the phone down and looked at me.
"dad's is getting out of prison."