chapter seventeen

~♛~

~♛~

"we know fp used his call from jail to get in touch with you. what did he say?" archie asked joaquin.

"it was basically just a warning— just to lay low." joaquin shrugged.

"no one uses their one call to say 'lay low'." veronica scoffed.

"joaquin, do you know something?" kevin asked. "i'm not talking to you as your boyfriend. i'm talking to you as the sheriff's son. did fp kill jason?"

"yeah." joaquin finally said. "i mean— i assume so."

"did you see him pull the trigger?"

"no, no. god, no."

"then why do you think he did it?" archie asked.

"on july 11th, i got a phone call in the middle of the night from fp. he said he needed help with with some cleanup job at the whyte wyrm."

"what job?"

"the basement of the whyte wyrm is off-limits to everyone. but that's where i met up with him, and that's where i saw that— that the boy had been shot. i never asked fp if he did it. i just— i mean, i was terrified. i just assumed. we stashed the body in the freezer, cleaned up the mess and got rid of any evidence."

"you are a criminal." kevin shook his head condescendingly.

"joaquin, fp has done jobs for my dad, hiram lodge, in the past." veronica explained. "do you think killing jason was one of them?"

joaquin shrugged. "there was one time i overheard a conversation between fp and mustang."

"who's mustang?"

"another serpent. he's the only other guy who knew about the cleanup. the one archie got in a fight with at the bar. i heard him tell fp something about some rich guy. i don't know who."

"where is mustang?"

"no, no, no. you do not wanna go see him." he shook his head.

"yes, i do." veronica crossed her arms. "now, are you going to take us, or—"

"—or i'm gonna tell my ad about your cleanup job." kevin threatened.

~♛~

archie, veronica and kevin climbed up the dirty motel steps; being led the way by the desantos boy.