chapter twenty-two

~♛~

~♛~

gracie's pov:

"it's another win for the bad guys." jughead sighed. "no one was there, the entire staff quit. pop isn't sure how long he'll be able to keep the doors open. maybe not even a week."

"it's because of what happened to my dad." archie said. "people are freaking out. and i gotta be honest, guys, i don't see myself going back anytime soon."

"wait, i'm sorry. am i hearing acceptance? i'm not letting one psychopath with a gun dictate what happens to our place." betty protested.
"jug, you went crazy trying to save the drive-in..."

"i can't take on anymore social issues right now. my hands are full."

"mine too." i said.

"with your dad, of course. and he should be your top priority. i'll take point on helping pop tate." betty nodded.

"i'll help too, betty. my dad's back in town and anything to get me away from my parents, i'm in." veronica volunteered.

"another bee and vee teamup? they should make a video game about you guys." jug chuckled. "i gotta jet. we're off to meet my dad's court-appointed joke of a lawyer at the sheriff's station."

i stood up, shovelling the last spoonful of my pudding cup in my mouth.

"let me come with you two, i gotta drop some flyers off for sheriff keller." archie said.

~♛~

"let's talk about the damn deal." dad demanded.

"first, to review the charges you're facing: arson, destruction of evidence, making a false confession, obstructing justice— not to mention this whole nasty mess of dumping a dead kid in a river." the lawyer explained.

"i know what i did. what's the deal? what're they offering?"

"you're gonna wanna take it." he passed him a document. "i'm telling you, i've been doing this for a long time. it's a strong deal."

"cut the crap— how many damn years?!" i exclaimed.

"he's facing twenty years."
jughead gulped.
"if he doesn't take the deal, and the case goes to trial, he could be facing forty years."
i buried my face in my hands.

~♛~

"jughead tried going the legit route. he even talked to the mayor. it's just— it feels like whole the system is rigged against us." i sighed.