My Birthday

Annabel's POV

Today I woke up with full confidence that I will rock my day. The day was just perfect. Neither too hot nor too cold.

I was shocked it was supposed to be a brand new start. I was murmuring in my mind: Are you kidding me. Where is Mia? It's my birthday and she didn't wake me up.

Normally for the past years she would wake me up with a present but this year was different.
I stood up from bed not wanting the situation to change my mood. I will be writing my final paper today. So much joy. My room mates wished me, that was enough to calm me down for the moment but I checked round and didn't see Mia. I think she is up to some mischief or is she planning something for me? I thought to myself.

I went to the bathroom and prepared for school playing a song from my phone ( Anne Marie ~ birthday).

I dressed up and went yo the dinning hall, I still didn't find Mia nor any of my BFF. I mean Charlotte, Jace and Kelvin. My heart beat skipped it count. I ate and rushed to the class.

There and then behold I found the fools. "Where have you guys been?", I asked them.
"Miss Ruth called us and asked us to clean the class so we volunteered. Mia didn't wanna stress you. You know it's your birthday that's why we decided not to wake you", Kelvin said.

"Okay", I said.
"Anyway happy birthday", Kelvin said and hugged me. Jace and Charlotte did  same. Mia just sat down like nothing was wrong. Did Alien or something wipe her brain? Then I heard her call me. I went to her seat and sat next to her.

"Do you know what mom will get for her daughter's sixteenth birthday", she asked me.
"I don't know", I answered ignorantly.
Actually she's fond of calling my mom, mom.

I waited patiently for Mia to wish me even if she wasn't getting me a present. I gave up. I didn't bother to ask her. Then I waited for the principal's messenger who will tell me he is calling me. Then I will collect my gifts sent to me from mom and big sis.

We started our exams and finished it early. It was time to sign out. Yay. You know what I mean right?
I brought out my white T-shirt and wore it. Then someone told me the principal sent for me.

I went happily to the principal's office knowing fully well why he has sent for me. When I for there he gave me a box which he asked me to open to find out what mom and bug sis gave me.

I opened it, guess what I saw? I bet you can't. It was a diary with an inscription 'happy sweet sixteen daughter'.

     Wow! I love you mom. The diary has a lock, it's colour is pink with barbie panting on it. I went further to check the box, I saw a letter from my dad. Shocking right? And another from my big sis. And lastly I saw a wrist band and necklace.

I packed the box and went straight to my hostel. In the hostel, Peace and Stephanie signed me. I went to my bed and reopened the box.  I took out the letter which was from my dad. Do you want to know what the letter says? Sure I'll read it. I opened the letter and read it out to myself.

    Happy sweet sixteen daughter. I know you are shocked to see this letter. I just want to wish you on this very special day of yours. You mean a lot to me and I won't hesitate to love you as I have always done.
    Happy birthday princess, my jewel, oghenerukewe.............

I paused. Wow! So this man still knows my urhobo name. Wow! Not that shocking anyway since he gave me the name. Another shocking thing, how did he know my birthday? It's been six years if I can recall since he left us and he hasn't wished me in those years, how come now?

I kept reading till the end. I still love you dad, I murmured and went ahead to read my sister's letter.

When I was done reading all the letters, I packed the box and went out to look for Mia. I was emotionally down, I really miss my family.

As I went out I saw a group of my class mates signing out so I joined them and they signed me. So many did but I didn't allow them touch one spot. Guess? It was my chest, in fact my front. It was left for those fools I call my BFF. Even though I was angry at them they are still my friends.

After all that was dine I checked my phone and saw it was 4pm already. I went to my room and slept. The worse birthday ever. I regretted ever waking up today.

   "Wake up, wake up, wake up", I heard someone scream. I opened my eyes and saw the drama queen herself, Stephanie.
    "What is it Staph?" I said yawning and sitting on the bed.

"It's Mia o, she fainted. Please hurry", she said.
"Really! Where? Where is she? What  happened?" I asked terrified.
"She's in the hall", she responded, I immediately came down from the bed  and wore my slippers about to go then I paused.

"Why in the hall? Is she not suppose to be in the clinic?" I asked.
"I don't know, let's just go", she said. Then I ran like never before. My friend in danger.

    "Surprise!" I heard them scream as soon as I entered the school hall.
What the heck is this? A surprise party? I have never gotten this before. I stared excitedly and also surprisingly as I saw Mia. She stepped forward, gave me a kiss and then hugged me.

Then she whispered "Happy Birthday Bestie". There it goes, what I have been waiting for all along.

"I am sorry for making you feel angry and left out", she said.
"Really! Am not angry. Am mad at you guys. You planned this without informing me. Worst still you didn't even wish me at all", I responded.

     "I know. I am sorry. The reason was if I had wished you, you won't be MD at me and so we would have gone to sign out and I would not have time to do the decorations. I am so sorry bestie. Happy sweet sixteen. Let's see hat I got you", she explained.

"Really! After the surprise party you still got me a present".
She brought out a very big box. I wonder what's inside. The box is 5 times that of the one mom gave me.

"Wow!!! I screamed as soon as she opened the box. Guess what's inside the box. My favorites. There are lots of things in the box no wonder it's so big.

I saw a jersey with my name written boldly at the back, a football, a boot, a baseball cap, a headset and lastly a teddy bear.

"Wow all these for me. Am so speechless Mia. Thank you so much. I love you like never before", I said then we hugged.
"Without further delay let's cut the cake", Kelvin said then Charlotte brought the cake to where I was standing.

A love shaped chocolate cake with candles at the top. My best friend is really a god. I mean she's my idol. She knows my likes and dislikes. Am proud to have a bestie like Mia.

I made a wish and blew the candle light. Then I sliced a little, ate half and fed Mia the rest. The party began.

This chapter is dedicated my special guest and friend. Please follow her and enjoy reading her books as you enjoy mine.
Eddy622