Chapter Two

* * *

Neither Luke nor Liam managed to get any sleep.

Not when Luke's distrust in the little female across from him had already awake for the day. And as she moved to get up, the lights flickered back on mere seconds before she placed her feet over her bed.

In her established morning routine, she jumped forward and grasped towards the cages' bars up above. Ignoring the curious eyes settling on her, since once again--Eyes were always watching her throughout the day.

Luke was taken aback, not only by the fact that she managed to hold herself up. But to do so for that long?

He caught his brother's grin and mouthed towards him once again, 'Not so tiny now, is she?' His brother taunted, causing a growl to reemerge from within him.

Sage had just finished when she remembered kindly about her new roommates, and her own growl formed in contrast to Luke's. It was gut-filled and demanding. Piquing up Luke's interest, but more importantly, causing his wolf to study her more closely.

Soon after her sets, the same human as last night had come in. Serving up a filling breakfast. And it was hard to ignore the hungry stares now as she was meant to be eating.

As Sage knew very well what it was like to be hungry.

However, even when she offered up the entire plate, Liam denied it again and again. Begging the moon goddess that his stomach stay silent.

And in a room that smelled so strongly of chemicals and blood, the mere whiff of eggs and bacon was mouth-watering, to say the least.

When Sage had finally finished her meal, the returning nurse had escorted her up and out of the cell. Not bound or tied in any way, shape, or form.

Which caused the eldest wolf to groan in frustration.

"Brother, calm down." Liam chided, but it just earned him another scoff.

"How can I calm down?! She can kill him! She—" The theories of just how many things Sage could manage with the amount of trust the nurse gave her had gone on for another hour.

Then an hour of silence.

Followed by another hour of wondering where Sage went.

The brothers remained dutifully quiet, attempting to reign in their beasts and promote a sense of peace within such a confined space. But there was no such calmness, not when the smell of blood had suddenly lofted its way into the room. Instantly making the hair on the male's backs rise in attention.

Sage came forward through the hall with a limp, following the human as he held open her cell door and watched her carefully make her way to her bed.

And the only help he provided was poor her a cup of water.

She gulped it down as though she hadn't touched any water since her departure, and she hadn't. Today had been tedious, her opponents stronger.

Whatever they were doing to the humans was giving them abnormal strength. An extra boost.

It finally proved to be a difficult task for their test subject to complete, which is exactly what they needed.

Her body had been wrapped and treated, but the bruises and lip held major cuts and scraps. And thus, she leaned into her bed and snuggled deep into her blanket. Throwing the sheets over her face to provide a cover from the light above her.

Luke caught his brother staring off at the girl again, and he knew that look well enough.

He wanted to save her.