Chapter Nine

* * *

With the sun setting over the horizon, neither brother dared to try and take Sage away from the moonlight. She seemed content and safe as she looked up upon the heavenly deity before her. Her hands so easily taking in handfuls of grass, as there appeared to be an endless supply.

Amplifying her blissful aura.

"Guess we'll sleep out here tonight." Liam hummed his own response while Sage's smile continued forward, completely unaware of the light bit of laughter coming beside her.

The Alpha and Luna had gone home, but they gifted a phone for Luke to call if they needed anything.

But it also gave the two a chance to call their family before Jade and Harlow went home. Just so Sage wouldn't be left by herself.

They didn't have the chance to explain the whole story regarding their sister just yet, deciding that it was more of an in-person conversation than anything else. Besides, Luke was comfortable with having her head just resting on his chest as she embraced everything she was neglected of.

"You think she'll let me in?" Liam asked, not wanting to push Sage into bonding with him as she had with Luke. But it was due time to give said push to settle their relationship. "She calmed down. I think she trusts you." With the go-ahead, the small prickling sensation returned to Sage's temple and caused her to let out a steady whine—Trying to fight the tension.

"It's just Liam. You can let him in, can't you?" Luke's soothing arm rub settled her further into his hold, and she closed her eyes and lowered her walls. Her wolf thumping her tail in anticipation and yelping a greeting to Liam's lightly colored grey wolf.

Hey there, hun. Can you hear me?

Le?

I kinda like that. Is your stuffie still in the car?

Liam considered it her first real toy or gift, and Sage smiled at the reminder of how much comfort the thing brought to her. It was hers, and some small part of her was still grasping at the fact that if she had something to call her own, that wouldn't be taken away.

"She gave me a nickname, told you she likes me better." Liam taunted, and Sage only narrowed her brows in confusion. She liked both her brothers. They were warm and inviting. Not to mention their smell was familiar and brisk. She felt comfortable being around them.

"She called me Lu in the car ride over. Try again, brother." The two were fighting to be her favorite, but it was obvious that Luke took that place due to him being the oldest and in charge of their road trip back home.

It had been another round of coaxing to get her back into the house, and even then, she wouldn't budge at the idea of sleeping alone. So the brothers settled on sleeping in the den, each taking a couch—But when Liam thought Luke had fallen asleep, he offered up his blanket, and Sage curled up on the same couch as him. And with the air condition blasting, Sage shivered without a blanket on her small figure, even if Liam was acting as her personal furnace.

The following morning, Jade entered the cabin with a tower of serving trays with Beta Josh just a step behind her.

And the smell of freshly cooked meat defiantly woke up the two brothers, though Sage only snuggled further into Liam's side.

"Oh, there were guest rooms—"

"Sage got scared. It's alright. Couches were comfortable." Luke explained as he narrowed his eyes at Liam, while the younger of two tried to nudge the little wolf on his chest awake.

"Goodmorning, Sage. Hey, I think I smell some potatoes." He whispered, and it earned him a fitful yawn as she stretched, mindful not to hit Liam as she sat up in confusion.