Chapter Seventeen

* * *

Luke thought he already saw the low points of Sage's life, but seeing her sick and longing to go outside was starting to wain on him. Especially when she was feeling too weak and struggling to maintain any energy was damning at best.

And when she had finally battled the cold, the itch on her neck still didn't pass.

Or this depressed attitude.

Nothing could get her out of it, mom's cooking of chicken and potatoes, hair ties, offers of runs, swimming, or hunting. The family felt her wolf struggling to cope already, and it made them worry as they couldn't imagine how she would be at Mystic Grimm.

On the fourth day, Luke had a plan to stop her pup attitude. One that involved him throwing her over his shoulder and dropping her on the ground in the backyard, already facing the wood's edge.

"We're going on a run. Now." She huffed. It was indeed angry and not in any way, shape, or form ready to comply with his order.

"Sage. You are not allowed to sulk. You're not leaving."

"Alpha." He groaned into the air and pointed to the woods. "If you don't shift in five seconds, I am dragging your ass to the lake and throwing you off the cliff." She was testing his limits, so much so that he almost missed the state of her neck...

Almost.

It was blood red, irritated to the brim. Goddess, no wonder she was aggravated.

"Sage, hun...Does this hurt?" She nodded, but when his hand felt against it, she hissed as it felt like a burn. Still, on the ground from her being throw, she struggles to get away from his touch as though he caused her pain.

This prompted another call to the pack healer.

"I don't know what this is, Luke, but she needs to stop playing with it...Honey, you can't keep scratching it. I know it hurts, but it's starting to bleed and scar." The soft voice made it difficult for Sage to feel angry at, but with Makenzie here, it made for a quick check-up otherwise.

"She's doing better. I just wish I knew what this is...No other pack has dealt with this." As the doctor started cleaning up, she politely asked the status of the Alpha's choice in removing Sage.

The decision still hadn't changed.

"See, all set Sage...Now shift." She didn't like the order or the look in his eyes as she's gotten used to the privacy, but neither was bothered by her naked form as Luke just gazed away.

That is his sister, after all.

"She's eating better. I can see that from here."

"Yeah, she's not skin and bones...Even her wolf looks healthier." Luke nodded down to the freshly shifted Sage. The girl still had the wrap against her neck as it transferred when she shifted.

A yelp occurred as it started to tingle even further, but no matter how informed Sage is...Her wolf was still confused at the foundations of a pack.

She just knew it was where they belonged.

Run?

"Call me if anything changes, but keep the bandage on her neck. It'll stop her from scratching it...Otherwise, we might have to find a cone." Sure it was a dog joke, but Sage did not like the sound of that in any regard.

Leaning onto her hind legs did she gesture her two paws up in a begging motion.

"Thanks Kenz...We'll go to the lake and then to the cliff, round back, and come home. Alright?" She nodded, eager to feel the relief of a normal run. But the brother could still feel the struggling sadness on how she felt with leaving.