Chapter Forty-Two

* * *

Days followed when the two woke up in the cave, Remus was simply thankful that she hadn't stopped on her progress and fallen back with how much she's speaking.

He'd never forgive himself if she did.

Instead she was simply cautious when he was around, and after a few minutes she'd revert back to being normal. He deserved it and more, especially if her wolf has been talking to her, he was sure that there would be nothing nice to be said about anything that he's done.

Even his own wolf was reflecting on his actions.

Instead, the two were preparing what needed to be done for the witches to come. They were on their way and due to arrive tomorrow, and with the sudden warm weather—Remus took it as a sign that maybe spring was on the horizon, but of course, the weekend they were due for their worst storm of the season.

And then...Christmas!

And it had escaped everyone's notice that it was Sage's first-ever Christmas, and she had just stood there as confused as ever while holding a Santa hat.

"Why presents?"
"Because it's a time of giving munchkin, so in the morning we all enjoy our Christmas with the family and then we come together as a pack for dinner. That's why we're hunting, Gigi and some other she-wolves all make food. It's like a party."
"Another party?" He sighed, his hand falling to that special spot on her back and calming her thought process.

"It won't be like that again hun, it's a peaceful holiday. And it might snow."
"That's good?"
"Just on Christmas, and we'll wear matching pajamas, eat good food, enjoy hot coco and—"

"How about you stop flirting with my sister in my general proximity." Luke Elwood did indeed have a limit, and that is when it came to his sister.

"I was just going over our Christmas plans."
"Hm, mom's asking if you want to have lunch at our house." Remus was taken back by the invitation, especially since the scowl looked over Sage's swollen lips and small blotch on her neck that was starting to form.

But he told himself after the witches and before they travel to Mystic Grimm.

"Christmas tree?"
"Yeah, we have a Christmas tree...Call mom if you're up on sharing Sage." The she-wolf's jaw dropped and her brother smirked as he set the trap.

"Not a toy."
"No, but mom's excited to have you two over." Remus had remained silent before itching the back of his neck. "I don't think I've had a normal Christmas in a while...We'll be there."
"Not a toy," Sage grumbled, and Luke just nicked her side playfully.

"You can play with Casey's new toys then too, that's when pups get new toys."
"Like a birthday?"
"Close. But it's everybody's birthday." Understanding washed over the she-wolf as she waved off her brother.

"What time are they coming tomorrow?"
"Noon. Said they didn't need a ride onto the property." Sage's eyes sparked, apparently the little wolf adored car rides. It wasn't that she was awful in the trip cross country to return home, but Luke was confused as to how she liked it now.

When it was really Remus coddling her and pretending that she was the one driving.

"We'll go later munchkin, it's warm out...Maybe the ATV's will be good for today." Either male was thankful that Sage wasn't making a panic about meeting a new species, instead she seemed intrigued.

Which was still better than panic.

The day passed quicker than Remus would've liked, and already was his little mate cuddled up beside him barely on the brink of sleep.
"After the witches leave and Christmas is done munchkin, this house is on lockdown when we're mating." His voice was a very firm growl, and it earned him a faint whine from his sleeping mate.