Chapter Eighteen

* * *

Unfortunately, the following day started because Luke had forgotten his phone in her room, so she had the beautiful alarm interrupt her peaceful sleep.

With a long yawn and quick stretch of her limbs, she looked at the phone in distaste. She knew it was a form of talking to others because the scientists would use it for communication, so she walked off to Luke's room and poked his arm.

"Lu? Lu." She continued to poke until he let out a growl in warning. "Go back to sleep, Casey."

"No. Lu. Beep-Beep." He took the general few seconds to properly wake up as well, even going as far as leaning up.

"What are you doing up, hun?"

"Beep-beep." She repeated, offering up his phone. He groaned as he assumed it's what woke her up in the first place. "Oh come on, you know what this is."

"Phone." He hummed, tapping on the screen. And while he was busy with that, Sage found herself curled up on the edge of his bed as he responded to Jack's text.

He pulled her further up, so there was no risk of her falling. And she slept so peacefully with his scent surrounding her, and he could've sworn that a small smile had popped up in her sleep.

A knock followed half an hour later as he rose his head slightly off the pillow to look behind and at the door. "Sage's not in her bed, she—Oh. What a traitor." A hum came from Luke's throat as he was still tired from the late night and eight o'clock was still too early.

"Left my phone in her room, let her sleep." Liam rolled his eyes, but allowed his siblings to sleep more.

With the fear of Rogues still being on pack territory, he and a few more warriors were put on patrol on top of what had been already scheduled.

Nobody was to be alone, nor overlook any scent. But the alarm instantly had both the siblings groan and try to hide away from the noise.

But Luke acted as the bigger person of the two.

"How about we get some bacon and potatoes?" She peeked open an eye and hummed, but her stomach betrayed her as it growled for her.

"Come on, shouldn't sleep anymore. Alpha wants to meet you."

"Stay?" She questioned, and he knew what she was trying to say. But as he remained silent for her benefit, she managed to piece together the sentence further.

"Stay here?" He nodded, knowing it was still up to Remus, but after last night's conversation, it sounded like the good news they were waiting for.

"Come on, bacon and potatoes." She instantly got up to her feet and rushed to return back to her room, even if it was close to lunch already. He thought she deserved it after a job well done.

And soon enough, he had fallen back into the pattern of complete happiness. Now knowing that Sage was going to stay pushed away the stress.

Even though she wasn't feeling anxious, she still enjoyed following Luke on patrol. The two made a game out of it as well as learning things about the pack. The types of trees, landmarks, and most importantly, hunting tips.

Caleb and Liam eventually joined in, and they paved an extra few miles surrounding the area where Sage had found Zoe.

Mark says Zoe is doing a lot better, and Zoe's parents want to make dinner for Sage.

At the sound of her name, she turned back, blinking in confusion.

Food?

Yeah hun, a gift. Zoe's parents and Mark are very thankful you saved their pup and mate.