Chapter Thirty

* * *

 Sage had many dreamless nights, usually, they were filled with leftover substances in her system that make her weak. Having sleep be her only option.

Other times it was pure exhaustion, a damaging testing session and torture that drew her sensors into overdrive. Having sleep be her only option.

If she showed strength or resilience they would break her further, once a year would this occur. When her age ticked up one another number it was almost predicted that Sage's wolf attempt to grow a new attitude.

Those were what the scientists were waiting for, they enjoyed training their dog.

The slurs and nicknames pledged her mind when she allowed it, but now? All she could feel was the warmth. 

The warmth and the small movement of repetitive breathing that allowed her to feel safe and secure. But also fuzzy, much like that drink had during her party.

Making a small shift caused a growl, one that had her eyes pop open in an instant and pull the covers with her. She growled in response, especially after she realized that it was indeed Remus.

His shirt discarded hours ago, and she huffed in damnation to his comfortable figure.

Sleeping in her bed.

"Come back down munchkin, it's early." She shifted the blanket over her chest as she stared down at him. This wasn't normal, this was her room and he's here?

How?

"Hungry? Sure we can go get some breakfast in town." That sounded like a plan, but Sage was still trying to render the fact that the Alpha is in her bed.

"My bed...?" She questioned, and a tired smile hooked up as he placed his arm under his head. His mate looking utterly perfect, and the illusion of her purple blanket over her chest made it seem like she was bare.

His wolf enjoyed that imagination.

"My bed." 

"Wouldn't let me leave your side last night hun, I came to apologize...Luke let me stay." That was shocking, and her defense she was entirely unsure on how he managed to let that happen.

"Not mad?" 

"Not mad...Are you mad?" He wanted to see if she was, it was her place to share her disputes. Because if she wasn't going to pitch a debate, who would?

"Mad Rogues." 

"Believe me Sage, my wolf wants nothing more than to skin all of them. And we did, every last one is tented on a flag pole." Her wolf fawned over this romantic gesture, her kills ordered to be hung in the representation of the pack.

It allowed her to purr affectionately.

"Come on, we'll go into town." Town. What was a town?

Since her arrival, Sage had passed a few structures here and there, but since the Elwoods lived relatively close to the Pack house and trails...There was no reason for Sage to venture elsewhere, especially when the members were unaware of her presence.

"Potatoes?" 

"All the potatoes you want, do you like bacon?" Her eyes blinked up for a few moments, and Remus took it as a sign of her trying to recognize the word to the actual meat.

"Run?" He pouted for a minute in a sense of pretending to think, and she pounced. An unceremonious action as she tackled him lightly, pinning him. Her wiggling risked the damn promise to Luke was screwing him over, goddess was it difficult not to shower her with affection.