Chapter Twenty-Five

* * *

Unfortunately, Remus did have meetings to attend that morning that led right into the afternoon. He had to carefully transfer her to the bed, come to find out his mate could well indeed sleep through a war.

He contemplated his next move for far too long. Sage's lips were too delectable to ignore. Mind over matter took over as he crawled over her sleeping form, her plump lips parted with a small whine as she internally felt her mate come closer.

His nose traced a line against her cheek. Even though she was sleeping, her body reacted in response to his attention.

However, he felt her still when he elected to meet with a kiss, and gods did it give off a delightful burn. It had grown addicting, but before he could get a response from his mate, he pulled away.

What he could only expect was her first kiss was taken away by his inability to wait. This stolen kiss would be the only one he would give himself. Otherwise, this would've escalated further than what Sage was comfortable with.

Did she know what a kiss was?

Her wolf side was indeed affectionate, but he couldn't recall if he's seen Sage give anyone a polite kiss on the cheek. He decided that he didn't want to see that, but these actions were a way to speak and express herself to others.

Another thing he couldn't fault her for.

He gave her one last peck on the forehead before he forced himself out of the room.

The walk down the stairs was pure torture. With every step, Remus was gaining distance from Sage. And the space was definitely a good idea, especially when he has seen far too much skin of his mate.

Of course, seeing skin was normal in their world, but much like his theories on whether or not Sage has given a kiss before to now.

It sanctioned a growl to escape his throat.

"Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning? How's Sage?" Jack called out, which caught Eli's attention straight away. The two were indeed protective of their Luna. Though that stance even applied before the Alpha recognized her as his mate.

"She's sleeping, woke up around three...Show—Showed me what happened in the..." Facility. He tried to finish his sentence, but neither his Beta nor Delta would force that of him. Not after what he tried to manage.

"We got the techies on it. Liam saved all of the card IDs and whatever else was in the car. Harlow has sent information as well. The facility is one of the bigger ones. The Council calls it the Underground." Remus froze at the ominous title.

"The council is coming within a week."

"A WEEK?!" His thunderous growl threw a chill through the scattered omegas. Even Kenzie in the infirmary had felt her Alpha's anger.

"Sir, let Sage rest." It was easy to use the mention of his mate, especially as he physically shook off the feeling with a shoulder roll.

"I want her to join the pack before they come. If they arrive beforehand then—"

"You don't think they'd take her away, do you?" Jackson had been taken back by his Alpha's fear, and a grim nod returned the answer to the question.

The rest of the morning had been met with countless tasks, though he was hoping that if he hurried along in finishing all that needed the Alpha's approval, he'd be able to spend some time with his mate.

And on the short walk towards the kitchen for another refill of coffee, he had caught Sage wandering the halls.

She had found the hoodie once again. Thankfully, she had shorts on in addition to the long sweater.