Chapter Ten

* * *

The oldest Elwood son woke up with a start, his eyes scanning the room in hopes that the scientists hadn't taken Sage or Liam while he was asleep. But an almost prideful grin formed on his face, knowing that they had escaped and he didn't have to be so wary of the scientists.

Even if there was still an everlasting tug that'd remain on everything they've endured.

It only took another moment for Luke to realize that it was Sage that woke him up. Her body shaking and paired with small whimpers made it evident that she's having a nightmare.

As if she wasn't having a hard enough time as is.

"Sh...Shhh, right here hun. It's okay." He slowly moved her up to his chest and wrapped his arms around her to steady the shakes. Stroking softly through her long locks of hair, creating a rhythm for her to follow.

"Lu...?"

"I'm here, always. Go back to sleep hun, we have a long day tomorrow." She hummed, mumbling something along the lines of 'sleepsleep,' which he agreed to.

Luke couldn't help it. He slept lightly after Sage's night terror. Even when he knew full well that his body needed to recuperate after the weeks of unsolid sleep, in addition to all the mental and physical torture. But he remained at the ready, in the off chance that the scientists did find them.

That and his wolf began to grow angry at their memory. The only orders he was meant to follow were his father's or the higher tiers of his pack. Not a puny human in lab coats that hide behind drugs and tazers.

The following morning, Liam sighed in relief to know that they would be back home that very afternoon. They had a little over eight hours remaining of travel, and coffee fueling them. The brothers felt as though they accomplish anything.

And even now, Luke was smiling into his next sip at how Sage's first sip of coffee had turned out. She didn't care for it, but Liam had snagged her one of the bottled ice teas. Hoping she would like it, knowing it isn't that sweet.

While the complimentary muffin would hold them for an hour at the most.

When Liam turned back to offer Sage a water bottle, he caught that she already finished her tea. "Course she likes that herbal crap," he mumbled, and she smiled down at the cup. Herbal crap.

She took a mental note of the name and wiggled her figure as much as her seatbelt would allow—While the two males up front were mindful of human drivers not used to morning traffic.

Sage's book of swears had increased significantly over this stretch of the drive, seeing as how they got worse the closer they reached New England.

At the next stop for gas, Liam set her up with a makeshift desk so she could continue to practice holding a pencil. It managed to distract her, and every time they would ask what she was drawing, she'd tell them.

Jade had worked on all types of small doodles with her, flowers to be exact. And to be brutally honest, Luke thought they looked damn good for someone who didn't know what a tree or plant even looked like up until this week.

With that, they managed to continue without much difficulty while Sage hummed in the background to the tune of the music. Allowing Liam and Luke to plan their first day back home.

Home. Even with less than an hour left, it still made their wolves anxious. He wanted to run down the patrol path. Scout. Fuck, he'd even take sparring with his dad right now over what he endured.

As it neared the seventh-hour mark, Sage had fallen asleep as they finally started to hit familiar roads. But only one in particular lead to their pack's land, and it was hidden from human's sight. But Liam turned his arm back around and nudged her to look back out the window just as they turned onto the dirt path.