The Calm before the Storm

After we wrapped up our investigation, Zak and I decided to take some time to check in on each other to ensure we were both unaffected. I felt surprisingly giddy. There was something about the night's results and the evidence we had gathered that had me on a natural high. Being alone with Zak, I found myself craving his touch, his presence, his proximity. Unable to resist, I reached out and pulled him close, pressing my face against his chest as I embraced him tightly. Zak chuckled softly and ran his hands down my back, his touch sending shivers down my spine.

For once, I felt like I could reclaim my life, and I owed it all to Zak. Without him, I might have felt defeated and lost, but he didn't give up on me. Zak was the first person in my life who hadn't questioned me or stepped back when he witnessed my struggles. It felt like we were connected at a deeper level than anyone else could understand.

I felt Zak's heart beating against my cheek, a slow and calming rhythm. It was as if we were both experiencing a moment of bliss and, for the first time in a while, Zak wasn't reacting with panic. We were, dare I say, normal.

"I could love you forever," I whispered, almost hoping he didn't hear it, but he responded with a kiss on the top of my head, confirming that he did.

"Me too," he replied, hugging me even tighter.

After a few moments of contented silence in each other's arms, we knew we had to rejoin the rest of the crew, or they might leave without us. Bacon, who had been resting, was now ready to drive us to our next location. We all piled into the bus, setting up makeshift beds to catch some rest before arrival and work had to begin again.

I woke to the sound of familiar laughter coming from the front of the bus. Aaron was making jokes and laughing at himself. I turned and noticed Zak lying close beside me, wide awake and smiling. Easily, my favorite sight to wake up to.

"How long have you been awake?" I asked, nuzzling up to him.

"Not too long," he replied, brushing my hair away from my face.

"You didn't have to wait for me to wake up. You could've joined the guys in their banter," I said, gently running my nails along his spine.

"I'd rather be here, enjoying this moment right now," Zak stated, kissing my forehead and pulling me closer so that our bodies were touching.

"Too bad we don't quite have privacy," I said, biting my lip.

"I was thinking the same thing. After this investigation, we're getting a hotel room," Zak laughed, kissing my shoulder.

"How much time do we have after we arrive before the first interview?" I asked, grinning up at him.

"Not enough," he sighed, resting his hand on my hip. I glanced towards the door, noting the noise level outside it. I could hear the rumble of the motor, so I knew we were still on the move.

"I don't think they'll catch on," I said, slipping my hand into the band of his pajama pants. Zak laughed taking my hand in his.

"They have to walk through that door to use the bathroom. I don't want to risk anyone seeing you like that!" Zak explained, kissing my hand. I playfully rolled my eyes and let out an exaggerated groan before sliding out of the bed.

"Fine, I can wait," I said, throwing his shirt at him as I pulled on my jeans. "But as soon as we're alone, I can't promise I'll be so patient," I added, winking before I pulled my shirt over my head.

We arrived at our next location around 6 p.m., and our first interview was scheduled for 6:15 p.m. We had cut it a bit close because everyone wanted to stop for dinner before the interview. Our waitress had become overwhelmed by the sudden influx of volume brought on from our large group, and our food took a while to arrive. I couldn't help but feel sympathy for her; it was evident that she was just a high school student. Despite the wait, the guys in our crew were remarkably sweet and understanding, which made me proud to be part of this TV family. but we had to hurriedly set up all the cameras as soon as we arrived, Zak introduced himself to the team on site and the interviewee. 

I had taken on the role of filming the interviews but I'll admit, following Zak around with a camera did little to quell my growing desire for him. The way he interacted with people and spoke had a powerful effect on me, and I found myself distracted more than I should.

"Hey, lovebirds, we need you to come and take a shot from this angle over here," Aaron called, approaching me from behind and picking up my camera.

"Oh, right. I'm sorry," I apologized, following Aaron to my spot.

"What's got your mind elsewhere? Is everything okay?" Aaron asked, studying my face. I blushed as I tucked a strand of my hair behind my ear.

"Ah, I understand," Aaron said, looking toward Zak. I focus my attention on the camera lens in an attempt to avoid a further conversation about my apparent thoughts. 

"You guys were on another level last night which caught us some great evidence. I can imagine your energies are high right now," Aaron remarked, glancing back at me and offering a warm smile. "I'm glad he has you. I've never seen him so happy," he added, giving me knots in my stomach. I look at Aaron as my closest friend on the crew and an older brother so, hearing his approval of Zak and my relationship means everything.

"Thanks, Aaron. I feel like the lucky one in this deal. Zak is one of a kind," I said, looking in Zak's direction. Zak was looking at me with a smile bright on his face, a rush went through my body before I turned my attention back to Aaron. "I'll be sure to stay focused from here on out," I promised, pointing my camera toward Zak with a thumbs-up presented showing I was serious with a sprinkle of sarcasm. 

"Don't sweat it. I'm right here if you get lost again," Aaron said letting out a cackle before turning on his toes to be ready at his post. I laughed, shaking my head. I patiently awaited my queue to begin rolling again. 

Zak conducted the second interview due to a last-minute turn in our original eyewitness story. She revealed that her friend also had a remarkable experience with the evidence on his phone to back up his story. It made for a great visual having her friend's added point of view but it resulted in us going over the planned two hours, for B roll footage and one interview. 

Although it was vital evidence to provide, we were all quite tired and ready to call it a day. We had gone with our earlier conversation and got hotel rooms to return to in order for us all to have a decent night's sleep rather than taking shifts in the bedroom to sleep.