4. Faith

Author: What's one of your greatest strengths?

Hope: Always believing in others. It could be a weakness a few times but. .  . Having hope in them.

••

The next week I didn't speak to Hope.

It wasn't like I did not want to, but it was more amusing to watch her display her stubbornness, she never learnt.

The first time I had seen her I didn't believe my eyes, Hugo had sent—well ordered— me to go buy some jam from a nearby convenience store. I had passed the park on my way there and found her on the bench playing with her phone, alone.

I wasn't bothered honestly. I had bought the jam and came back to find her in that exact spot. From the way she tapped her foot against the ground, played with her fingers and constantly checked behind her back - it was obvious she was waiting for someone.

The next day had been the same. And the day after that. But it was probably Thursday that struck me odd. Aiden and I were on a walk when from the corner of my eye I found her, surrounded by girls. Different questions raced through my mind, all with answers I couldn't provide. I walked past the park acting like I didn't see her just like she always did to me.

The only difference was she genuinely didn't see me. I chose not to see her.

By the time we were back, the girls were gone and Hope was left on her own leaving me with a million more unsolved questions. It would have been human of me to walk up to her and chat with her a bit, but I didn't do that. I liked the way things were, with me analysing her from afar.

Things were probably safer this way.

That was a week ago, though. Now I had myself in an uncomfortable situation.

I was seated in Chase's car with my seat belt hugging me tightly. Chase drove not sparing me a glance and I gritted my teeth.

"Can't we do this next week? I'm not sure I can start therapy this week, Chase," I told him, looking at him with hopeful eyes.

Among all of my three brothers - Chase was the easiest to get on your side. For a second you'd think it was Aiden, but Aiden had made it loud and clear my opinion on therapy wasn't needed nor wanted.

I felt like a puppet.

Chase sighed, his eyes were still looking ahead, fixed on the road when he replied to me. "As much as I want you to start therapy next week Mum and Dad have been bugging us, Faith. Besides you should have started last week but you just came, I'm not too sure Doctor Sam would be happy with you backing out at the last minute." He reasoned with me. Being the oldest left so much pressure on him. Things like this, taking care of me while I was away from Mum and Dad and making decisions like this must be weighing him down. He did look more tired lately.

I looked outside the window watching as we sped past cars, houses, cafés. The atmosphere was so beautiful, it was stunning, something that could catch any tourist's eye.

I didn't feel the beauty though. To me, beauty didn't depend on the look of the normal eye. It was what it was deeper, so as we drove further away from our house I wasn't as awed by the scenery as Chase thought I'd be.