24. Hope

1/2

Author: If you could go back in time and change anything, what would it be?

Faith: To be sincere, nothing. There are things I wished never happened but going back to change them would only be disastrous. You have to learn from the bad times to enjoy the good times. Aside from that, everything happens for a reason. Whether it's death, a miscarriage or a divorce, even a nasty heartbreak.

Everything happens for a good reason. You've just not figured the reason out yet.

~Faith Jennings.

••

Laughter echoed from downstairs as I made my way down the stairs.

I walked down slowly feeling the anger radiating off of me. It was like I was going through an internal battle not sure if I was winning or losing.

I was not sure if I was winning and understanding exactly why Faith was doing what she was. Or losing my senses.

When I got down I made my way to the living room and saw Garrett. He was seated on the living room sofa with a familiar woman across from him. If I didn't recognise her dark long ebony hair I was not sure I would ever recognise anyone ever again.

"Mom?" I asked, shocked. When Aiden and Faith had dropped me home a few days back Mom was not home. She had left and so had Dad and according to Garrett, Lacey had gone out to burn some heat.

My Mom's curly hair was pulled in a high ponytail, the tips of her hair curling up. Her hazel eyes locked with mine and her blood-red lips-void of any red lipstick- were pulled into a carefree yet rebellious smile.

That smile made me believe that she had no permission whatsoever to be here.

"Honey! It's been so long come take a seat!" She greeted me as joyful as ever, her pale cheeks were dusted with a bit of pink and I suddenly wondered what she and Garrett had been talking about.

I stuffed the letter into the butt pocket of my jeans and forced a smile on my lips. "Of course, what are you doing here?" I asked her as I took the seat beside her. Garrett smiled at me softly.

"I'm going to head out for a bit, want something?" I looked at him in confusion unable to understand why he was leaving so suddenly. But I soon forgot about it when my Mom happily piped in. The same mischievous glint in her hazel eyes, telling me she was up to no good.

"Oh, glad you asked! I would like a doughnut and a cup of coffee. Black, no milk with a teaspoon of sugar." She recited and Garrett nodded then looked at me.

I shrugged. "Nothing really-"

"She'll have a coke and a couple of biscuits. Here," she brought out money from her purse before I could look at the amount Garrett was already protesting.

"It's okay Aunty Veri, I have money on me already and this is too much," he told her politely refusing to take the money from her. My stubborn mother wouldn't have any of it.

"Oh, my, you don't work! At least not full-time. You should be saving for a PlayStation or something. Besides keep the change, you may end up needing it for something," she winked at him and his eyes widened just after his cheeks turned crimson red.