5. Hope

Author: What do you think about help? Or rather, getting help?

Faith: I think that when you get help from others you're giving them a chance to find out your weak spot. Giving them a chance to hurt you.

~Faith Jennings.

••

I bit on the cap of my pen as I stared at my notebook.

The café I regularly visited was deserted the only customers being me and Garrett.

This week had not been the best. I was too busy trying to get myself doing things every moment to forget about everything for a while.

I had not heard from Faith and I was honestly worried and filled with questions.

Was she avoiding me?  Did I do something stupid?

Not that I'd be surprised though. . .

I sighed and sipped my black coffee. There was something about black coffee that was oddly comforting, it was the only way my week was less. . . Stressful.

I had looked for Faith everywhere, I had waited at the park she had been in. It was like she was nowhere. There wasn't anyone I knew who knew of a Faith Jennings—the name I had gotten out from her, now I was questioning if it was real or not. They had told me about Hugo Jennings, Chase Jennings and Aiden Jennings. There was no one like Faith Jennings.

A person had even offered to show me their address if I wanted but I quickly declined. How embarrassing would it be for me to show up at a stranger's house looking for someone who could not be there?

For a second I was wondering if I had created Faith from my imagination. I had been so lonely lately I would not be surprised if I had.

I heard a sigh from Garrett who was sitting across from me. "You're doing it again. You're spacing out," I pressed my lips into a thin line and took a big gulp out of my coffee.

"The girls say I'm just fine," I watched Garrett clench his fist. "Besides Sabrina asked for you, she wanted to know if you were single," I told him.

My friends had ditched me all through last week. We were meant to be in the park chilling and gossiping, as usual, but Jessica had called me up to cancel saying they had something else to do. When I asked if I could tag along her cold and distant attitude made me wince.

They had done that twice until they were finally less busy. We didn't hang out for long though. Sabrina had to go help her Mum and I could not come with her because her Mum didn't want a house with more than four guests in it.

They were busy, I knew that, but why did I feel like the only time they needed me was for Garrett? I knew about their massive crushes on him but how did I have a role in any of that?

"For Sabrina, I'll be single my entire life," he sounded cold. He had always been this way when it came to Sabrii and honestly, call me oblivious but I didn't know why.

"That's not very nice," I commented and he rolled his eyes.

"You don't always have to be nice, Hope. It won't kill to be mean for once." He said sipping his black coffee. We had the same taste in coffee, black with a teaspoon of sugar and no milk.

His brown hair was a few shades lighter than mine and his grey eyes had me wondering if my hazel ones were even as pretty. He had skin just as pale as mine and wore a plain t-shirt and black ripped jeans. He looked casual, I wondered if I looked as good as he did or as terrible as I felt.