Prologue

My name is Kendall Carvalho. I'm 18 years old and fresh out of high school. Right now, I'm just figuring out what to do with my life, go to college or find work since I don't have a clue what I really want to do. I'm originally from Oriens, but I'm currently taking a vacation in Noble Michel.

   I'm just a common girl living in a common world. Or perhaps you could say... I'm just a small town girl living in a lonely world. Instead of taking the midnight train going anywhere, I just walk.

   I'm on my way back to my hotel room, just admiring the view as I walk by. I did a whole lot of nothing today, and still have lots of free time. Damn I need a life.

   I was passing by a huge flight of stairs when I heard someone heavily breathing. Wondering what was happening, I saw an old man hunched down. Worried, I rushed over to his side. "Are you alright, sir?!"

   I carefully helped the old man up, rubbing his back in comfort. He was still coughing, but was regaining his posture. "I'm alright now. Thank you, my dear."

   I helped the old man sit down at a nearby bench. "Is there anything I can get for you?"

   "No need. My ride is going to be here shortly."

   "Ok. I can stay with you until your ride is here to make sure you stay safe."

   "Such a kind hearted young lady you are. May I have the name of my savior?"

   "Of course. My name is Kendall Carvalho."

   For some reason, the old man seemed shocked. "Carvalho, you say?"

   "Yes, sir."

   His eyes were fixated on the pendant I was wearing, growing even more shocked. "It can't be..!"

   I tilted my head in confusion. "Is everything alright?"

   "That pendant. Where did you get it?"

   I fumbled with the pendant I was wearing. "My father gave it to me, and he got it from his father, but it came from my great-grandmother originally."

   "Pardon me for asking, but what is your great-grandmother's name?"

   "It's Rosiana Carvalho or Grandma Rose for short."

   "It is the same person. Oh my..."

   He was tearing up which made me concerned. "What's wrong?!"

   "I never thought I would ever hear that name again. Rosiana..."

   "Do you know my great-grandmother?"

   The old man nodded. "I do. Your great-grandmother... She was my beloved."

   Now it was my turn to be shocked. "She was?! But... She had a husband."

   "I see. So she did find happiness after all."

   "Yes, and apparently my father told me that his father was from someone else other than the great-grandfather I knew."

   The old man was surprised once more. "Pardon, but did you say she had a child that wasn't from the man she ended up with?"

   I nodded. "Yes, sir. If my grandfather wasn't from my great-grandfather, and if you said she was your beloved at some point, then that could only mean..."

   The old man looked lost in thought. "I see. So that's what she meant back then."

   "Meant what?"

The old man shook his head with a sad smile. "Before the two of us had to part, she told me there was something really important she needed to tell me. She said it would be life changing for the both of us, but... We ran out of time before she could say it. I always wondered what she wanted to say. Now it's clear."