Chapter 5| Life-Changing Event

The next day, my dad and I were having breakfast with Noble Michel. The two butlers, Zain and Theo, were standing nearby. The conversation I had with my dad last night was still pondering in my head, but the answer was becoming more and more clear to me.

Noble Michel smiled at us both. "It is such a warm, pleasant feeling sharing a delicious meal with my grandson and great-granddaughter."

"I feel the same way, grandfather." My dad answered. "The food here is something I never thought I would eat in my life. It's amazing."

"I will give the chefs your compliment, Frederick."

I took a sip of my drink, debating to bring up that topic right now. I felt like I had to do it today. Now or never. "Um... Great-grandfather?"

"Yes, my dear?"

"I've been thinking hard about a specific thing since last night." I looked over towards my dad, seeming like he knew what I was referring to.

"What is it that you've been thinking about?"

"I... I want to study all I can about Noble Michel, so I was wondering if there was any room for me here to do that?"

Both Zain and Theo were surprised about what I said. Noble Michel was surprised as well, a smile appearing right after. "Of course you're welcome to stay here! It makes me happy knowing you want to get to know this country. Is this alright with you, Frederick?"

My dad nodded. "I support it 100%. I'll have to inform my wife about this. I gave her a call last night before we went to dinner, so she's expecting another call today at some point."

"Of course, of course!"

After breakfast, I was waiting for my dad to get off of the phone with my mom. We were both outside in the courtyard. I was sitting on a bench while he was standing near a hedge with his back turned towards me, blabbering on the phone.

I saw him end the call, now walking towards me. "Well, I talked to your mother about it."

"And..?"

"And..." There was a pregnant pause. "She 100% approves of you living here!"

I genuinely smiled. "I'm so happy!"

"Ho! Ho! You two are lively over here!" We heard Noble Michel's voice. He was walking towards us with a smile. "I assume you have some good news to share?"

My dad nodded. "I got off the phone with my wife, and she's perfectly ok with Kendall living here with you."

"Splendid! I'm sure you would want to get some of your stuff from home, right Kendall?"

I do in fact have some stuff back at my house that I can't live without. "You're right. I'll have to go to Oriens at some point soon to pack up some things."

"Fear not. Zain will happily take you to your home in Oriens around the same time Frederick will be heading there as well."

Zain, who was at Noble Michel's side the entire time bowed. "I'm at your service."

I smiled at Zain. "Thank you, you're a life saver."

"Since you only have today to do whatever you want, the two of you should spend more quality father and daughter time together." Noble Michel suggested.

"You're right about that." My dad turned towards me. "Do you still want to go to that cafe you mentioned the other day?"

I eagerly nodded. "I've been wanting to go there with you!"