Thirteen

The next day, San gets to school and is about to walk to his locker, but is stopped by Mingi.

"Oh, hey Mingi." He says and gives him a small smile.

"Hey... do you know where Yunho is?"

San looks around, then back at Mingi and shakes his head. "I'm not sure."

"I've been trying to talk to him these past few days but he'll always ignore me. I really want to ask him why he broke up with me."

"Wait... he broke up with you? Why?"

"I don't know... I'm trying to find out."

"Oh." San just nods. Yunho looked really sad and it looked like Mingi had been the one to break up with him. "When I see him, I'll try to convince him so he goes talk to you, okay?" San smiles at him.

"Really? You'd do that?" Mingi smiles back. "Thank you, San."

"It's no problem... Well, I have to get to class, so see you around."

"Alright." Mingi waves before walking away. San walks towards his locker and as soon as he gets there, Yunho catches up to him.

"Oh, hey Yunho." San smiles at him. "I didn't know you were here already."

"Yeah... I got here a few minutes ago."

"Oh." San nods. Ever since what happened yesterday, it's been a little awkward between them. Yunho had never talked to San like that, so it really did hurt his feelings. "By the way... I was just talking to Mingi and-"

"San, stay out of it." Yunho rolls his eyes. "I haven't wanted to talk to him for a reason, okay? Why must you always get in other people's business?"

"What's going on with you?" San asks, confused. "You've been a jerk these past few days. I really can't even open my mouth to say something anymore. You find everything annoying."

"If I did that, you wouldn't like it either. I heard what you were telling him. Who gives you the right to decide whether I talk to him or not?"

"I just thought you two could work things out. You seemed hurt when you two broke up, so I thought-"

"Stop assuming things." Yunho mumbles. "Now hurry up or we'll be late to class." He grabs his arm and starts pulling him towards the class.

"Let me go!" San tries getting out of his grip.

"Why are you so damn ungrateful? I'm just trying to stop you from being late to class!" Yunho doesn't let go of his arm.

"Yunho! It hurts! Let go!"

"Let him go!" San hears someone yell at Yunho and feels him let go of his arm. He looks up to see Wooyoung just punched Yunho in the face. "How dare you treat him like that?!"

"What is it with people getting in other people's businesses all the time?" Yunho touches the side of his lip and sees blood. He's about to throw a punch at Wooyoung, but Wooyoung punches him before he can.

"If you treat your 'best friend' like that, I wouldn't want to know how you treat other people." Wooyoung rolls his eyes. "You seemed like a good guy. You really did... but I was clearly mistaken."

"This is all your fault!" Yunho yells at him and San's eyes widen, afraid Yunho will tell him everything. "All this is happening because of you!"

"Because of me? What did I do?!"

"Guys, calm down. You'll get in trouble." San tells them, trying to stop Yunho from saying anything else. "Come on, let's go." He tells them, but Yunho pushes him away.

"Are you serious?!" Wooyoung yells at him and pushes Yunho to the ground.

"This has always been your fault!" Yunho yells at Wooyoung.

Wooyoung freezes for a few seconds. All his life, he's always been blamed over his grandma's death. People have always told him, 'it was your fault'. So hearing those words really hurts him.

"You're all San has ever talked about for the past five years! Do you not know how tired I am?!"

Wooyoung turns to look at San, who looks like he's going to start crying any minute from now. "So what? Why the hell does that bother you?!"

"Why does that bother me?" Yunho repeats and stands up. "Because he's my best friend! That's why it bothers me. Why should I be happy that he's talking about someone he got to know for a few days?!"

"I knew you liked him, but this wasn't a reason to treat him like that... And it's clear that you've ruined any small chances you had with him, idiot." Wooyoung rolls his eyes and San's eyes widen, realizing it's true that Yunho likes him.

How could he have been so oblivious? All this time, he thought it was a friend kind of jealousy. He thought Yunho was jealous of him having other friends.

"What? I don't-"

"Come on, San." Wooyoung walks over to him and leads him towards the school's exit.

"San, wait!" Yunho tries catching up with him but he and Wooyoung walk faster.

Once they're outside, they walk towards the same bench they usually always sit on. San looks down, trying to stop the tears from falling.

"I can't tell you what to do or what not to do..." Wooyoung starts. "But I don't think you should forgive him... at least, not so easily."

"I know." San just nods.

Wooyoung turns to look at him and sees him crying. He had never seen him like this. San would always be the one to talk to him, but he's barely saying anything right now.

"You shouldn't let him treat you like that." Wooyoung tells him.

"Why do you care?" San wipes his tears away, but more just end up falling.

"Because... you don't deserve to get treated like that... no one does."

"That's funny coming from you." San looks up at him. "You let those guys treat you worse... And you keep ignoring me even though I just want to be your friend. How are you any different from Yunho?"

"I have my reasons, okay?"

"If you can fight, why don't you just defend yourself when those guys bully you?"

"I already told you I deserve it, okay?" Wooyoung sighs. "But I'll show you I'm different from Yunho. Starting today... do you want to be friends?"