02//new car

The car ride back is quiet. Mom's been acting weird since she heard this Cameron guy died.

"Mom? Who's Cameron?" I ask

"Cam was my best friend before I met your father."

"How'd you meet him?"

"We went to school together growing up. Cam stuck up for me when some girls were making fun of me in like the first grade. I actually introduced him to Kelsey, much to my dismay he fell in love with her. I used to have a huge crush on him growing up." She chuckles sadly. "But then I met your father through Kelsey and me and Cam grew apart. We were still friends but after college we kinda lost connection. I'm really surprised Kelsey stayed here. She likes change."

"Having a loved one die is enough change for a life time," I say. She smiles sadly at me and a tear drips from her eye but she quickly wipes it away.

"I actually think the Eades house is next door to us," she says casually like we weren't just talking about her dead best friend and husband.

"That's cool maybe you can go see if Kelsey's there and you guys can reconnect."

"Yeah," she replies softly. "yeah."

We arrive at the house and I see a woman in the front yard of the neighbor's house watering flowers. My mom gets out of the car and marches straight up to her. I have no fucking clue what's going on so I get out of the car and trail behind her slowly.

"Kelsey?" My mom asks softly from behind the woman watering.

Kelsey turns around slowly, her eyes watering, "Oh my god Sarah," she replies grabbing my mom and hugging her as tight as she can squeezing her eyes shut. They stay in each other arms for a bit until Kelsey releases my mom.

"I'm so sorry about Jack, Sarah. You know Cam, Noah, and I would've gone to the funeral but Cam was in the hospital and I couldn't leave him at the time. I'm so so sorry I-"

My mom cuts her off with a hug, "It's okay Kels I know, I know."

I'm standing awkwardly behind my mom while her and Kelsey cry into each other's arms. I'm staring awkwardly at the flowers Kelsey was just watering when she looks up from my mother and sees me standing behind her.

"Oh my gosh, I'm being incredibly rude, you must be Carter."

"Oh I- No you weren't being rude, sorry, yeah I'm Carter. Nice to meet you Mrs. Eades."

"It's nice to meet you too Carter, you can call me Kelsey. I've known you for a very long time. Your mom and I were pregnant together."

I turn to my mom. "Oh I didn't know that." Kelsey smiles at my mom.

"Yeah your mother had the worst mood swings with you."

I laugh while my mother blushes a little and smacks Kelsey's arm.

"Well Mrs. Ea-, I mean Kelsey, it was really nice meeting you but I have to go unpack my room and put my school books down." I laugh and she smiles kindly back at me. "Mom, I'll see you at dinnertime?" She nods.

"I swear that girl is more like my mom then I am hers," my mom says to Kelsey and I hear them both giggle.

I walk into the house and to my room I open up some of the boxes and start unpacking, making my bed, putting my loads of books on the bookcase and hanging clothes up in my closet I do this for about two hours and I check the time it's around 6 so my mom will be home at 7ish. I walk to the balcony doors and walk outside I look around the backyard until I look to my right and see that my balcony is line up right across from a balcony of a bedroom of the Eades' house.

At this very moment I'm praying that it's a guest bedroom but that's all thrown away when I see a guy walk across the inside of the french doors (very shirtless) to the doorframe of his room and starts doing pull ups with his back to me. And let me tell you that guy has some fine ass back muscles.

That's the guy that was in the office. Noah I think Kelsey said. I turn away quickly so he doesn't see me staring and sit down on the chair on my balcony and start reading my book because I'm tired of unpacking. I read on my balcony before I put my book down to watch the sunset. After a while I hear the front door open and my moms yelling for me for dinner.

"Are you excited to start school on monday??" She asks as we consume enormous amounts of pizza and dr. pepper.

"I guess, I mean I don't really know anyone," I shrug. "It'll be fine. I'm glad we're staying here for the rest of the year though."

She nods as she chugs more Dr. Pepper. We laugh and eat dinner for a while. Before we decided we need to watch a movie. She wants to watch "The Bourne Identity" because and I quote "He's so dreamy" While I wanted to watch "Divergent" because duh Theo James. So we end up watching both and agreeing to watch the other movies of the other series along the course of the weekend.

And so we did. Over the weekend we unpacked the entire house and watched Jason Bourne movies and the Divergent series all weekend long and on Sunday night I had mentally prepared myself for the worst things that could happen at this new school tomorrow. I was sure I'd probably make a friend by lunch and if I didn't I could probably walk someone for lunch this town is so small. While I'm getting ready for bed my mom calls me downstairs.

"Hey mom what's up?"

"Okay so I have a little surprise for you so close your eyes."

"They're closed," I say as my mom grabs my hand and I cover my eyes with my other hand. She pulls me towards the front door then opens it and pulls me outside into the front yard. I feel my mom let go of my hand and put a small box in it where her hand was.

"Okay open your eyes."

I open them and immediately open the box in my hand not really noticing anything else until I pull out the keys to a 1976 turquoise Ford Bronco aka my dream car. I look up to see it park in our driveway next to my moms car.

"Omigod omigod omigod omigod omigod!!" I squeal as I grab my mom and hug her shaking from excitement.

"It's all yours baby," she says and I squeal again as I unlock it and open the drivers door admiring the inside of my new car.

"I FUCKING LOVE IT THANK YOU MOM!" I scream from inside the car. She just laughs at me while I squirm in the front seat from excitement.