Six

☂️
Malina
☂️

I stand at the printer at work waiting for the paper to come out. My co-worker and friend walks up behind me and taps me on the shoulder.

"Hey Maya. You okay?" I ask, noticing she couldn't keep still. "Yeah I'm just excited for you!"

I furrow my eyebrows picking up my papers. "What are you talking about?" She takes a breath and places her hands on my shoulders.

"I overheard Shanice telling Lisa she is giving you your own class. Your officially going to be a teacher!" Maya shouts, jumping up and down.

I join her and drop the papers in the process. We both calm down and she gives me a tight hug.

"Oh my goodness! I knew you were next. When they announced mine, I thought it was going to be you." Maya says, helping me picking up my papers.

"Thank you Maya." I say hugging her again. She nods. "I'm proud of us." I smile. "Oh I forgot to ask you, how are things with Mateo?" I ask her.

I had recently set them up on a date because Mateo complained about not having anyone new in his life.

"I mean it's going well. He was at my apartment last night and we were just chilling. But what was funny was that he told me I had a lot of cake for a white girl." She says laughing.

I roll my eyes, it would be Mateo to say some shit like that. "Oh my god he is so stupid." I say laughing with her. "Yeah but he is so sweet though. Congrats on your new class!" She says walking out of the staff room.

I walk back into the noisy classroom, placing the papers on Lisa's desk at the front of the room.

"Thank you Malina." I smile in response. There was a knock on the classroom door, both of our heads turn towards it.

Shanice walks in with a woman, a man following behind her holding a little girl.

He turns his toward us and gives a big smile

He turns his toward us and gives a big smile. "This is Lisa and Malina, they work together in this classroom." Roddy and the girl nod looking around the colourful and busy classroom.

I feel Roddy burning holes into the side of my head so I turn to him and widen my eyes a little.

He smirks and looks at his little girl, kissing her forehead. I try and busy myself by straightening up papers on the desk, putting pencils back into pots and wiping the board clean.

I can't believe this man showed up here, at my job. Shanice walked to the classroom door, Roddy and the woman following behind.