Nine

☂️
Malina
☂️

I walk into my classroom and smile. It was my first day having a new class and I was excited.

Maya knocks on the door and opens it, walking into the room. "Hey! You ready for today?" I nod, putting my phone in the desk drawer.

"Yeah, they'll be here in a few minutes. I was just making sure everything was good." I say as Maya nods.

"I was just checking to make sure you were good. I'll see you at lunch." She says giving me a hug. She walks out of the room as some parents come in bringing their children in.

I say hello to each one with a warm smile, making sure they all felt comfortable as new comers.

Some children were playing with mega blocks and others were doing the large puzzles with the alphabet on it. A few minutes Shanice walks in with Roddy behind her.

"Good morning Malina. There is a parent with a few questions for you. Lisa will check on you in a little while." She says smiling and then walks out of my classroom.

Roddy walks up closer to me, holding his daughter. He smiles at me and I roll my eyes. I still don't know how he found my workplace and it annoys the hell out of me.

"This is Azalea, my daughter." Roddy says looking at her. I smile at her and she looks up at her dad. I look at the piece of paper I was given this morning, with the names of the children.

Once I find her name I look at Roddy. "Azalea-Bleu?" He nods rubbing her back. "Her name is beautiful. I love double barrel names. Did you choose it?" I ask him.

He furrows his eyebrows and nods. "Why you tryna chit-chat with me now? You didn't even want to look at me when you left this morning."

"So you want me to argue with you in front of your child? In my workplace?" Roddy sighs, brushing past the subject.

He puts Azalea down, she was hesitant at first but then ran off to play with the other kids. "My baby mama wanna meet you. When are you free?" He asks me.

"I don't work on Wednesday's. Is that good?" Roddy looks at me then points towards the kids. "Who gone have them?"

I pick up a spare pre-school week schedule. "Shows you didn't read the papers properly when you came the first time. We are an independent pre-school. Our boss thinks the kids need a mid-week break. It also gives us teachers to plan out what to do for our class."

Roddy smiles and licks his lips. "You got a passion to be a teacher?" I look over to the children, making sure they were all okay.

They were all laughing and playing loudly. I shrug. "I mean, I enjoy doing this. Sometimes the baby fever goes crazy but when they get loud and annoying I snap out of it." Roddy laughs.

"To be honest it's mostly because the money is good. I can definitely see myself doing something completely different. As of right now? I'm gonna stick to this for a little while longer. I just got my first class."

Roddy nods putting his hands in his pockets. "I'll be back later to pick up Azalea, see you at home housemate." He says winking and then walks off. Lisa joins me minutes after he leaves and helps me with the class.