Bare All

As soon as Olivia's head had hit her pillow she was out like a light. As she dreamed she saw visions of blood, cold pale skin and the sound of a breathing machine but it was nothing new.

After four hours sleep she woke suddenly, her body aching from standing for hours in the operating room as she assisted on the second surgery of Thomas Shelby.

Not having a single moment to relax she had to get up and prepare for a new day. Instead of completing her rounds her sole responsibility would be Thomas Shelby as requested by his family.

It had been said that Polly Grey had paid the hospital a large sum of money to keep Mr Shelby's condition and care under tight wraps. Olivia knew that his family were trying to protect his reputation but she thought it was futile.

Olivia Heart was pretty certain Mr Shelby wouldn't make it.

—-

Slipping in his room she saw that he had been placed near the window, his head bandaged and the sheet tucked in at his chest. As she touched his chest she realised that his temperature was back to normal.

A good sign.

Looking over the notes from the night nurse she saw that his output had steadied and he was adapting to his medication.

Scribbling down her entry she wondered how bad the damage to his head was. Would he wake but remember nothing of who he was and all the things he had done?

Just as she was about to check his head dressing she saw movement in the corner of her eye. Looking down she saw his fingers twitch.

"Mr Shelby?" She whispered as she placed a soothing hand on his naked arm.

Slowly his long lashes fluttered open, his bright blue eyes hazily trying to adapt to the sudden light change.

"Mr Shelby you're in the hospital" she started slowly as she swallowed "My name is nurse Heart" she breathed but could see he was having trouble swallowing.

Quickly pouring him a cup of water she bought it to his lips but before she could help him sip he thrust his head back and scrunched his eyes closed.

A low growl of pain slipped by his tightly closed lips and she knew the pain in his skull was becoming to much to bare.

Moving quickly she opened up the draw at his bedside and began preparing a needle.

"This will help" she said as she tapped the side of the needle, trying to ignore the gut wrenching feeling in her stomach when he groaned in pain.

Sticking the needle in his arm she gave him the full dose and watched as his body began to relax, his breathing beginning to steady.

"Don't try and talk" she whispered as he opened his mouth. Grabbing the cup she helped him sip the water, all while she began assessing his condition.

Unbeknownst to her Mr Shelby was also assessing her. As he watched her care for him he saw the focus she had and envied her calm nature as he remained frozen in his body.

"Do you know where you are?" She asked him as she took a seat next to him.

Tommy blinked and nodded, his jaw flexing with frustration.

Olivia smiled softly "I'm the nurse assigned to your care Mr Shelby. You've kept me on my toes the past few days...." she stopped talking, suddenly unaware of what to say next.

"How bad?" He croaked as his eyes began to flutter.

"Mr Shelby, your condition is ongoing. We're assessing you every day but you've so far made it out of the woods. I just need you to relax and let me take care of you. Your head can't withstand any trauma or stress right now"