Safety

Olivia felt the blush creep up on her face as she made her way to the nurses station. Sitting on top of the counter was a large bouquet of flowers. From the many grinning faces she knew they were for her.

"Your date went well then?" Nurse Ivie smirked as she plucked the card from the bouquet and passed it to her.

Olivia peered down at the card all while desperately trying to ignore the whispers coming from in front of her.

                                      Day one

                                         - T S

Shoving the card in her pocket she decided she would try and decipher the cryptic note when she had some privacy. The flowers however could stay at the nurses station.

"Do you all not have patients to attend to?" She snapped while grabbing up her next patients notes. Watching them scuttle away with satisfaction she turned to the one nurse that was left, her best friend Nurse Ivie.

"So, spill, what was the great Thomas Shelby like?" She wiggled her eyebrows suggestively which made  Olivia roll her eyes.

"A pain in my side" Olivia mumbled.

It was Ivies turn to roll her eyes "Oh come on Olivia. Tommy Shelby swanned in here and had you out the door before you could even blink"

"It was a thank you dinner" she lied, the familiar blush creeping up to her cheeks

"We both know it's more than that" she tutted "I think it's good for you, you know, it's time to live your life"

Olivia shook her head, knowing exactly where this conversation was going "I have to go"

"You always do!"

——

Every day when she turned up to work another bouquet of flowers would be there but the note went up in days. It was one day until she was to attend Tommy's opening and she wasn't sure if she could go.

Having pushed away their kiss she had tried to forget about him, to focus solely on her job but when she was alone at night she thought about him and his flowers.

Telling herself that he only wanted to court her because she had cared for him, that his feelings where superficial and wrapped in a traumatic event seemed to help.

——-
The following night she was dressed and waiting for her parents car. It was bad enough that her mother was attending but her father had also agreed.

Phillip Hopkins was a man of many talents and a natural in the field of medicine but he had been through a lot during the war and retired early. Olivia loved her dad but thought of him as weak next to her mother who made it her life mission to be over bearing.

Smoothing down her dress she took one last look in her mirror and fixed her hair, pushing it over her shoulders so that it curled down her back.