Nostalgia

Olivia sat by her fire later that evening with her hands holding onto a photograph that had been locked away for a long time. The edges where bent and the ink faded from time alone in a dark trinket box.

The soft smile of Jack Richards, her first true love captured her attention. If she closed her eyes she could still see him smiling at her. Grief and sadness began to pull at her heart so she looked away to the fire, hoping to find strength.

Jack Richards was Olivia's first love. They had both met at school where Jack had sought her attention for years. Olivia had spent her adolescence shy but she had always loved him.

When Olivia was lost, trying to find herself away from her parents Jack had been their to guide her. A pure soul that loved everyone and had time for those that needed him.

Ripped away from Olivia's side Jack was sent to war as a young man. After a tense six months she was notified that he was killed in battle. At first the grief didn't kick in but pretty soon after in consumed her heart, darkening it to those who tried to touch her and she knew then that she was too broken to be loved.

Pushing herself into work was the only remedy for her fragile heart and some days she found peace. When Thomas Shelby darkened her hospital she knew that he had the ultimate power to undo all of her stitches, remove the glue from her heart....

Taking in a deep breath she hastily wiped the tears away and shoved the picture back in its box. It was too much to bare.

——

"I'm pretty sure Mr Watson" Olivia smiled brightly as she patted Mr Watsons wrinkly hand. This was the third time she had to explain to him that his wife was okay, she just needed to rest after her recent fall.

"Miss Heart she's all I have" he mumbled, his jowls wobbling as he looked over at his sleeping wife.

Olivia smiled and ignored the pang of jealousy. Finishing up the notes she told Mr Watson she would be back to check on them in the morning.

As she stepped into the corridor she caught the stares coming from the nurses station and she knew something was up. Nurse Appleton suddenly looked her way and blushed, whispering to her colleague before ushering away.

Olivia cautiously made her way towards them only to find her mother and Thomas Shelby in a deep discussion further down the hallway.

"He's here for his check up" Nurse Ivie whispered as she leaned over the desk to Olivia who was staring at the back of Tommy's freshly cut head.

"I know" Olivia mumbled "the real question is why is he talking to my mother"

"Appleton said he's invited your family to opening of the children's home he built"

Dread filled Olivia's stomach instantly. If there was one thing her mother wouldn't miss that would be an opportunity to gawp at the notorious Shelby family while mingling with her peers.

Leaning over the desk Olivia blindly grabbed at a pen and checked her next patients chart, desperately trying to ignore the unfolding situation.

"Miss Heart" her mother, Mary Hopkins called.

"Great" Olivia hissed before looking up at her mother who was ushering her over.

"Good luck"  Nurse Ivie grinned before sitting back down and sipping her tea.

"I used to like you Ivie" she whispered back before making her way over to her mother, ignoring the arrogant stare of Thomas Shelby.

"Miss Hopkins" she greeted with a smile on her face.