Step one

After some much needed rest Olivia was able to deal with her present issues. As she rushed into the hospital the following morning, the snow falling heavy she decided that she wouldn't let Mr Shelby get under her skin.

Accepting his offer to be on the board was a kind gesture, one that she appreciated but it wouldn't be held over her head. Olivia was going to make it very clear to him.

Stepping into his room she quickly found him sat with his two brothers, engrossed in a family meeting.

"Good morning Mr Shelby" she greeted cheerily before throwing a newspaper at him.

Reacting quickly he caught the newspaper with a slight surprised expression.

"Your reflexes are improving" she said before squeezing by a surprised Arthur who was at the side of Tommy's bed "But you were squinting. You may need glasses"

"Tommy with specs?" John laughed "Now that's something I'd love to see"

"Hmm" she mused as she looked him in the eyes before snatching the paper and holding it a foot away from his face "Read the headline" she demanded.

Tommy squinted instantly as he looked at the paper and she pulled away, tucking the paper under her arm and leaving the room.

—-

"Is she always like that?" Arthur it asked as he watched Nurse Heart leave the room.

Tommy nodded, slightly amused at her quick visit this morning. Olivia looked well rested and less angry with him, something he was surprised at given their last conversation.

"If I get out of this and I only have to wear glasses I may just be the luckiest man alive" he mumbled as he leaned back in his chair, trying to dissolve some of the stress on his shoulders.

Parts of his business were suffering due to his lack of involvement.

"I think you'll be leaving her with more than glasses Tom" John grinned as he twiddled his famous toothpick between his teeth.

——

The eye doctor would be visiting Tommy later on in the afternoon so Olivia decided to use the rest of his morning on productive steps towards his recovery.

Jackson helped Tommy get dressed and wheeled him to the outside yard where she was waiting. Perfectly wrapped up in her coat and scarf Tommy watched as she stood from the bench when he approached.

"Out you go" she said as she leaned down and grabbed his hand.

Tommy took her hand and ignored the warm feeling as he pushed himself out of the chair, grateful that he was getting steadier on his feet.

"Let's take a walk shall we?" She asked with a smile as she slipped her hand away from his and linked arms with him instead.

"I can only do a few steps" he breathed, suddenly angry at how restricted he was.

"Then we do a few steps" she shrugged as she gently pulled him toward the end of the yard

Tommy had to admit that the cool air felt good on his face. Even moving his heavy legs felt good. After the first three steps he realised he was capable of doing more and led them both.

Jackson hovered behind with the chair, waiting in the shadows which took all of Tommy's strength to ignore.

"How's your head?" She asked him, looking up with her big brown eyes that always swam with worry when he was vertical.

"Fine" he breathed, grateful that his spine was adjusting to the slow steps and that his brain wasn't throbbing erratically under his skull.

"Good but don't push it Mr Shelby. We don't want to cause anymore damage"