Trouble

"Are you purposely being difficult this morning?" She snapped at him, for the the third time as she stepped into his room. Tommy was refusing having his bandages changed which meant Olivia was called in by a tearful nurse.

Not only was she angry but she was severely sleep deprived, only having three hours sleep and three hours away from him. The man that made it his mission to be difficult and cold throughout the night when she had tried to help him.

"What can I say? I don't like the way they do them" he coughed, clearing his throat as he noticed her in normal clothes, her hair down and free around her face.

"You need to stop doing this. You'll put me into an early grave Mr Shelby" she mumbled under her breath as she walked to the draw and began pulling at the supplies.

"You're not a morning person are you?" He asked as he lit up a cigarette, just dying to push her a little more.

Throwing him a dirty look over her shoulder she grabbed what she needed and made her way over to him. Roughly pulling his sheet back she ignored the momentary surprise on his face.

"My hands are cold" she warned before placing them on his ribs, tugging at the bandage.

Tommy couldn't help but groan at her cold finger tips and suddenly regretted pushing her buttons this morning. To take his mind off her cold touch he watched her face as she delicately removed them, expertly checking the bruises on his torso.

Olivia cared deeply about her work, more about fixing him and he wanted to ask her why but instead he bit his tongue.

"We won't need the bandages" she mused to herself as she gently pressed on his top rib "Does it hurt to breathe?"

Tommy blinked before composing himself "No"

"Okay good" she smiled before covering him back over with the sheet "How's your head?" She asked as she leaned up, dangerously close to him as she looked at his stitches.

From this angle he could see her eyes change in the light, her delicate eyelashes and her soft pink lips. A strange feeling began to seep into his chest and he suddenly wondered if he needed the bandages after all.

"Mr Shelby?" She asked him, pausing with her hand still on the side of his head as she looked at him.

"Fine" he mumbled.

As if sensing the sudden change in atmosphere Olivia scooted back away from him, her hands falling on her lap.

"I'm going to go back home now" she said as she stood up, her soft scent of vanilla lingering "I'll be back after a few hours. Please keep yourself out of trouble"

"Can't promise that I'm afraid. Trouble seems to find me"

——

Olivia was stood at the nurses station filling in Dr Sailes on their patients progress when she spotted a familiar face making his way towards them. It was Father John Hughes, his usual smile present as he greeted passing nurses.

"Excuse me Nurse but I'm looking for a patient" he said as he looked at Olivia with a large comforting smile on his face.

"What's their name please?" She asked as she nodded at Dr Sailes who was leaving to tend to another patient.

"Mr Thomas Shelby"

Olivia quickly composed her face. There would be no way on this earth that a man of god would want to meet with Tommy Shelby unless Tommy was on his death bed.

"I can go check if he's awake father. There was some complications and we had to give him some medicine. Excuse me, I won't be a few minutes" she replied with a polite smile as she made her way to his room, carefully listening for following footsteps.