Bartering

Olivia wasn't sure if she had heard him correctly at first until his face softened slightly. Tommy had hinted at marriage before but she had always been so dismissive. This was her final test. The be all or end all.

The blood was rushing through her veins but her breathing had done the opposite and she was starting to feel light headed.

Before she could allow her brain to step in and ruin everything she opened her mouth "I will" she told him honestly with a small shy nod.

Tommy's eyes widened with surprise and she knew he had expected a different reaction.  Tommy had to practically pull emotion from her, sometimes in the most forceful ways but today she was baring it all.

"On two conditions Tommy" before he could throw her out for wasting his time she quickly continued "That you ask me properly and that we only marry if you can completely forgive me. I don't want to take this into a marriage"

Tommy was floored, his anger dissipating with every word that came from her pretty mouth. This was a side he had never seen, could of only wished to see before and now she was agreeing to marry him.

Tommy stood up and walked around his desk, letting his legs lead him to her. Olivia stood up, slightly frightened at his sudden movements towards her but held herself steady.

Tommy held out his hand for her to shake, instantly bathing Olivia in failure. Taking his hand she expected him to shake it and tell her to leave, their 'appointment' concluded but instead he shook her hand and said

"It's a deal Miss Heart" before Olivia realised, he had pulled her forward gently and placed a kiss on her cheek "Now go home Olivia. I've got work to do and I can't concentrate with you in my office"

Tommy placed his right thumb over her mouth and traced her lips, the same lips that just told him that she would marry him.

Olivia let out a shaky breath "But Tommy-"

"We'll talk tonight when I know Lizzie isn't eves dropping on us" he smirked before pulling away.

Olivia stood still for a few moments before collecting herself and looking at him "Stop smirking" she told him as she picked up her coat from the chair.

Tommy leaned against his desk, shoving his hands in his pockets, his smirk never faltering "I'll try"

Rolling her eyes she moved to the door. Olivia was starting to feel her nerves settle slightly now that he was opening himself back up to her but she had a niggling worry that he wouldn't come to her later that evening.

Ignoring the feeling she opened up the door, giving him a quick glance before quietly shutting it behind her.

Lizzie was practically beaming over at her from her desk, it helped Olivia focus on the positives rather than their unfinished conversation.

"I'm not going to lie I thought you would burn in there" she laughed to herself, her hand over her heart

"Me too" Olivia mumbled as she placed her hat on with a small smile, her body still high on Adrenalin and nerves.

"I better get looking for a new hat. I love a good wedding"

Olivia shook her head with a small smile as she began to walk away

"I am invited right!?" Lizzie called when Olivia didn't answer.

——-

Tommy stood on her street later that evening contemplating whether he was making a rash decision based on possible temporary reactions. Olivia had come to him, baring all responsibility for pushing him away and giving herself to him so why did he feel hesitant?

As he walked down her street he finished his cigarette and looked up at the house. Moving quickly he decided that he needed to see her to soothe his doubts.

As soon as she opened the door his doubts evaporated just from her smile alone. Leaning in, he placed a kiss on her lips before even realising he had done it. Would he ever tire of her lips? Her soft skin as he stroked her with his thumbs? Would he ever tire of her?

Olivia smiled gratefully against his mouth before pulling him in, her hands slipping under his coat to take it off but he stopped her mid way.

"I can't stay" he told her and felt guilty when her face fell slightly "There's trouble with the family"

"Is everyone okay?" She asked as she crossed her arms over her chest, suddenly feeling cold now that she knew he wouldn't be staying to talk things through.

"They will be if they just listen to me" he mumbled before kissing her cheek "I'll try and get back"

Olivia simply nodded, not used to being the one that had to watch the other leave. Tommy was worth the wait she told herself so she opened the door for him and watched as he stepped out.

Just as she looked at him she noticed a familiar figure over his shoulder. Ron was waiting by Tommy's car, his eyes scanning the streets.

Olivia's face fell, did this mean trouble was coming? Why did Tommy look worried when he realised she had spotted Ron?

"Tommy what's going on?" She asked as she stepped out to him, the cold breeze hitting her quickly.

Tommy grabbed her by the arms and started to move her backwards into the warm house, his blue eyes dark with mystery "I can't tell you just yet. Just wait for me okay? Promise me Olivia that you'll wait here for me"

Without batting an eyelid she said "I will but please whatever is happening make sure you come back to me"

"Always" he told her as he kissed her on the doorstep, the warmth of his lips melting her. Olivia gripped his coat and deepened the kiss, her hands committing the feel of him to her memory.

——-

Olivia didn't feel right the following morning, she felt as though she was stumbling through the day. After the previous evening she hadn't been able to sleep, her mind on Tommy and his hidden problems.

Images of him returning to her broken plagued her mind. Now that she had opened her already frail heart to him she was starting to feel weak. Just as she was about to lose it entirely Ivie started her shift early to ensure she passed on a message to Olivia.

"This was left on my doorstep this morning" Ivie said as she passed a sealed envelope with a weary look.

Opening up the envelope she opened a folded piece of paper that had a scrawled note addressed to her

Dear Miss Heart,

You took something from me so in return I will take something from you.

An eye for an eye.
A soul for a soul.

Anna Huseff