Heartache

Instructing her driver to take her to John and Esme's  house she demanded that he be as quick as possible. If Katie was really sick she knew she wouldn't have much time to persuade her parents that the hospital was the right place to be.

If Polly Grey was worried then Olivia was worried. Nothing ever seemed to faze Polly on the outside and as Olivia stared out the dark window she wondered why that was.

Soon the car pulled up the familiar house and Olivia was passed her nurses bag by her driver and told that he would wait for her at the entrance of their drive.

Olivia rolled her eyes at his cautious attitude as she walked up the pathway with her bag. Before she could even knock Polly opened the door and pulled her in.

"Hello to you too Polly" Olivia said as she looked around for the sick child.

"Yeah yeah, come on she's upstairs"

In a small bedroom painted in a pastel yellow was Katie laying peacefully in her mother's arms. Esme looked up at Olivia and then threw Polly a glare.

"You're overreacting Pol, she's got a bloody cold" Esme hissed quietly while striking Katie's hair.

"How do you know? I didn't realise you were a doctor Esme" Polly snapped as she stood near the window.

Olivia decided to stay out of their fight as she crouched at the side of Katie's bed and began looking her over. There was sweat on her forehead and she had a red nose, all indicators of a common cold.

"When did she last eat?" Olivia asked as she began to check her pulse.

Esme sighed "An hour ago, she had some soup"

"That's good" Olivia smiled softly, trying to ease the mother's stress "How long has she had a fever?"

"For two days" Polly butted in and ignored the look Esme was giving her.

That wasn't so good. A fever this long meant that the infection was strong. Leaning over she pressed her hand to Katie's forehead and sighed with relief, the fever must of broke before she got there.

"The fevers fading" she mumbled as she opened up her bag "Give her some of these the next time she eats and make sure she drinks plenty of water"

"What are they?" Esme looked skeptical at the bottle of pills in her hands.

"They'll help her airways so she can breathe easier. If the fever returns Esme she needs to come to the hospital okay? These type of things can change quite quickly"

Esme was still looking down at the pills as she blindly nodded her understanding. Olivia thought it must be so scary to see your child become ill and there's nothing you can do other than comfort them.

"Two a day for the next five days" Olivia said as she stood up "I'll come check on her in a few days to see how she's getting on but I think she'll be fine"

"Thanks for coming love" Polly sighed with relief "I can bloody sleep tonight now"

"You're welcome Polly" Olivia smiled as she closed her bag and made her way to the door. Polly was quick to follow her, trying to ask her about how her day had been at work and that she had heard about the fire.

"Sixty four came in to us and the rest went to neighbouring hospitals" Olivia stood at the bottom of the stairs "It's happened before but the injuries have never been this bad"

"Arson?" Polly asked with a raised eyebrow, the information catching her attention

"That's what they're saying"