63

the next day, i spend it all driving to chicago. i check into the hotel at 1am.
"hi! i have a reservation under l/n." i say to the concierge.
"hi! let's have a look." says the lady at the desk. she starts typing and hands me my keys to the room.
"thanks." i say. i walk over to the elevator and press the 10 button. as the doors shut, someone's arm prevent the doors from closing all the way. a man who appears to be in their mid 20's walks in. he's wearing a suit and has a briefcase. he has brown hair and hazel eyes. he looks up at me and smiles. his teeth are perfectly straight and white.
"mind if i join you?" he asks as he gets on. why the hell am i meeting so many attractive men?
"uh, um, uh, sure!" i manage to spit out. i start blushing by the fact i totally just glitched in front of him. he laughs. he looks at the buttons on the elevator and sees that the 10 is already lit up.
"oh, perfect. i'm on the tenth floor too." he says. his voice is not too low but not high either. it's perfectly in between. i smile. the elevator ride feels like it takes a century.
"i'm caleb, by the way." he says, sticking his hand out to shake mine.
"y/n." i reply.
"that is a very pretty name." he responds. i can feel my cheeks getting hot. the elevator buzzes and the doors open.
"thanks." i reply.
"well, i'll see you around, y/n." he winks. he walks in to the hall the opposite of where my room is. i had butterflies in my stomach. he was hot! i walk to my room trying to contain my excitement. everyone loves a good compliment. i walk into the room and throw my bag on the ground. i take a shower and turn on the tv. i sit on my bed and play on my phone until i fall asleep.
i don't get up until 6. i get ready and run downstairs for some complementary breakfast. i take my tray to a table and sit down. only a few people are eating breakfast at this hour. i go on my phone and i hear a thud. i look up and caleb has placed his tray in front of me.
"mind if i join you?" he asks. i shake my head no.
"so, where are you off to this early in the morning." he asks.
"boston." i reply.
"that's like a 14 hour drive?" he says.
"yep, that's why i'm leaving this early." i laugh.
"touché" he replies.
"how about you. where are you going?" i ask.
"business meeting in ohio. i'm from colorado" he replies.
"what do you do?" i question.
"i just finished med school so i'm going to meet some people at a hospital i'm looking to do my residency at." he says.
"oh wow! do you know what specialty you're going into?" i ask.
"i really like pediatrics at the moment, but i'll figure out what i like when i start seeing patients." he replies.
"dang. what i do isn't that cool." i say.
"and what is that?" he asks.
"singer." i reply.
"wow. you have any songs i could listen to on my way to ohio?" he asks. i give him the name of my album and he adds it to his music library.
"well i have got to get on the road." i say standing up.
"that's a shame. ive had a lot of fun talking to you.l he replies. i smile.
"well we don't have to stop talking." i suggest.
"what do you mean?" he questions.
"i could give you my number, and then when you want to talk, you could text it." i shrug. he laughs at my attempt to be low key.
"that sounds lovely." he replies. i give him my phone number and he stands up.
"i'll talk to you later, i guess." he says. i smile and wave as i leave the dining area. i go back up to my room, get my bags, and leave for boston. after a gruesome 14 hours of thoughts, sing alongs, and audio books, i arrive at bff/n's apartment complex. i never actually told her i was coming, but she'd be ok with it, and it's just temporary! i walk up to her apartment and knock on the door. the door swings open and when she sees me she squeals.
"what are you doing here?!" she asks.
"me and harry broke up and i have no where to stay and im very exhausted and i just needed come back to boston but i dont have anywhere to live so i came here...temporarily!" i say really fast. her eyes go wide.
"you mean the man who confessed his love for you at your wedding, the day that's supposed to be the most magical day, broke up? you two were mad in love! what happened." she asks. i update her on everything that has happened. shes shocked.
"so after everything, you guys are just done?" she questions.
"yep." i reply.
"wow." she says.
"well, don't tell harry i told you this, but he got a ring for you before your jimmy fallon appearance. he was seriously in love with you." she confesses. my heart sinks a little.
"i didn't know that." i reply. she shrugs.
"nothing you can do now." she replies
"i did meet a very nice, smart, good looking guy at the hotel i stayed at." i say cheerfully.
"really?" she asks.
"yep! his name is caleb and he is about to start his residency at a hospital in ohio." i say.
"wow!" she replies.
"i gave him my number and everything! he was into me for sure." i say.
"dang." she says, looking at me.
"what?" i ask.
"are you about to have a rebound?" she asks.
"uh, what?" i question.
"are you really over harry because you were in a serious relationship and now you've already run into two guys, super easily." she says seriously.
"i mean, yea, i'm over harry." i say. when i say it out loud i sound convincing, but in my head, it feels weird.
"if you say so. i'm just trying to help. i don't want you to rush into something and get hurt." she says.
"no, i understand. i appreciate it." i say.
"so how long are you staying?" she asks.
"i'm not sure. i need to find some place to live. what if i just pack up and go backpacking through europe for a year." i laugh. her eyes get wide.
"y/n!" she exclaims.
"what?" i question.
"that's a great idea!" she says.
"what's a great idea." i ask.
"going back packing for a year." she replies.
"i was just kidding." i say.
"well i'm not." she responds.
"i didn't know you were so passionate about backpacking." i tease.
"y/n, i'm being serious! it's a good way to kind of restart. you know, come back when you're ready." she says. after i think about it, it's not too crazy of an idea. i smile.
"i'm in." i say. she squeals.
"we're going to europe!" she screams. we do a happy dance in her living room.