Chapter 6: Secrets Abound

CHAPTER 6 - "SECRETS ABOUND"

In Abberline's home, Maria, Abberline's fiancée handed Spencer Von Strauss a cup of hot tea as he sat on a couch in the living room, with Frederick Abberline sitting in a chair adjacent to him.

Spencer Von Strauss accepted it with appreciation and took a sip. Abberline observed the lad as he took pleasure in its taste and noticed how the teen's fingers flexed and wrapped around the cup as if to get warm. The lad had on leather gloves when Abberline first saw him which did not insulate against the cold very well and he must have been outside for quite a while waiting to follow Abberline.

Abberline knew of the Von Strauss finally. They were the largest importer/exporter of leather goods, wools, and meats in the British Commonwealth and its colonies, with a multitude of animal farms in Germany, England, France, Denmark, and other places - which may have accounted for the boy's leather gloves, made of rawhide from the animals the farm's slaughtered. And yet, they were better than no gloves, for which Abberline didn't have this night.

He had invited Spencer back to his home because of what the boy had told him in the alleyway after Abberline had pinned him against the wall; he said that Abberline was in grave danger. Here, at home, he was hoping to become further clued in to what the boy meant.

"Thank you," Spencer said again. "It is a very cold night."

"Please start again," Abberline said, "about what you said to me in the alleyway."

"I was waiting until you left the office to speak with you, unfortunately I did not realize how late you were going to be and I was under-dressed," he said instead in response, briefly glancing at Maria. He wrapped his hands more tightly around the hot cup, and Abberline could see this. The boy also wore thin material trousers and a dark colored dress shirt. Around his neck was something that looked like a dog collar with a crucifix. He knew Spencer's older brother wore a similar "collar" which was something of both a fashion statement and symbolic of their religious beliefs.

Maria excused herself, knowing Abberline would prefer to speak with Spencer alone. Spencer thanked her for the tea once more.

"I had some important reports to finish," Abberline said when she was gone, not saying anything further. "Now, in conjunction with what you told me in the alleyway - why were you following me, and why am I in grave danger?"

Spencer nodded, settling the cup in his lap. "My older brother is a member of a secret cult called the Illuminati, and they have learned of your covert investigation into the boy, Lukas Phantomhive, and his re-emergence into society after seven years, kidnapped and kept by the now famous child kidnapper of London, and they are displeased about it."

Abberline sat momentarily shocked. "H-how..."

"My brother has spies everywhere, even in Scotland Yard, Inspector. I do not know the manner in how he learned of your investigation, only that he knows, and that he entered Scotland Yard soon after you left."

"He entered Scotland Yard? But the night watchman would have prevented him from entry."

"Money speaks, Mr. Abberline. And the Von Strauss family is very wealthy. And in these uncertain economical times, any manner of wealth received is a blessing to those in need, even police officers."

Abberline couldn't argue with that. "Who was he going to see?"

"Your police commissioner, Sir Arthur Randall. He and my brother are acquaintances, but they have not been for long. They met by accident during a case late last year and have struck up an accord. Although, I am aware that your police commissioner does not like my brother, as in so, tolerates their association."