Chapter 15: Damascus's Experiment

CHAPTER 15 - "DAMASCUS'S EXPERIMENT"

After a feeding frenzy on the Virginea Par coastline in a small village called Roanoke in the year AD 1590, Damascus wiped his mouth of dripping blood.

Roanoke had been an English colony of the "New World", where immigrates flocked to the Western continents in hopes of re-colonization, traveling by carrier ship across the Atlantic Ocean. And this village was one of the first colonies to be settled, to fully establish a new English dominance here. But they had isolated themselves next to native tribes that out-numbered them a thousand to one.

Elsewhere, the Anglo-Spanish War continued. England and Spain continued to fight in a non-declared war over religious issues and monarchy rule that sparked several intermittent battles and conflicts. And due to this, the colony of Roanoke was left to fend for themselves, no supply ships had come in over three years. After the first year, the colony began to befriend the two native tribes that resided in and around the area of the Virginea Par - the Secotans and the Croatans - to help them survive on their own. And the colony began to live off the land and build aqueducts for fresh water and other facilities that would gave them the ability to be self-sufficient. Because it was obvious they were utterly alone.

In essence, they had been forgotten.

And it was perfect.

It was sad in a way, because Damascus had enjoyed being in their presence for the last three years. But his Master had said that he was being contaminated by human influences, basking in their culture and speaking their languages, after spending so much time with these people.

His Master had asked why Damascus had decided to remain with these people instead of embarking with others, with more sophisticated venues and cultures. The English were basically beginning a journey of a thousand steps and Damascus had found their endurance fascinating. Thus spent a great deal of time with Englanders, even 'growing' with them to blend in. He had grown a little taller, a little leaner, and allowed his hair to grow longer, for which he had tied a portion of it at the back with a ribbon.

Throughout his time, he even befriended people and had relationships and got a job on the docks hauling cargo. Basically, he wanted something more than Demonhood. He wanted to experience life, instead of merely devouring it. His Master had taught him many things, gave him raise to many skills, but Damascus wanted something else, and England gave him a opportunity to ease his boredom. Thus, he set aside his demon hood and became a human once more, where he eventually agreed to join this new colony.

But alas, after three years, his hunger became too much to bare, and he ate and ate and ate...gorging himself on the colonists he had befriended, devouring their souls and feeding on their flesh. And now, as he stood in a field of blood and body tissue, he sighed dejected. His experiment to rejoin humanity in some fashion had failed, but it did not take away the fact that he had resisted his demon urges for three years.

His Master appeared before him, like a wink in the night. The chaos Damascus had caused loomed all around him, his body saturated in crimson from all the blood and broken bodies strewn everywhere. And Belial gazed around with his hands on his hips, looking at the destruction and death Damascus had caused. But he did not appear happy. In fact, he looked rather disappointed.

"Are you finished?" was all Belial said.

Damascus breathed a little heavy. He allowed his urges to run rampant and this was the result, an unconscious bloodlust. The entire colony of perhaps a few hundred were all dead.