Chapter 30: A Clever Outcome

CHAPTER 30 - "A CLEVER OUTCOME"

"THAT BASTARD!"

The words echoed the quiet night, and everyone looked towards the mansion from the cemetery plot. The plot was a distance away, but loud sounds could travel long distances if carried acoustically, and as the plot was only a kilometer away from the mansion and the distance here from there was mainly flat, albeit a few rolling small hills, whoever's voice it was, seemingly traveled that distance.

"Who's voice was that?" Lukas said.

"Someone is at the mansion," Ciel replied straightly. But there were no way to be sure. "It sounds like someone has arrived in the front courtyard, but who could be visiting now?"

"I'll go see, Master," Finny offered.

Finny was the fastest of them and he could probably run the kilometer to the mansion in less than a minute, but Ciel suspected a sinister development. If Mathu Kelvin returned from Hell, whom had be brought back with him? Friends with sinister and malicious, even playful, intent?

He looked at Mathu Kelvin. "A friend of yours?" Ciel said, halting Finny with a hand.

Mathu Kelvin shrugged his shoulders. "I have no idea," he said. "But I do feel a supernatural power."

Ciel looked towards Salem, the Undertaker, and Grell Sutcliffe - both Reapers. "What do you feel?"

"It's a Reaper," Grell answered, "and I recognize his power level. It's Ronald Knox."

"Knox?" Salem said. "Why would he visiting here? Ah, perhaps he was assigned to retrieve the young man's soul, Trent Banes…" He gave Mathu Kelvin a scornful look. "You didn't have to murder him."

"I did what was necessary at the time," Mathu Kelvin replied. "And it did get your attention."

"But why would he scream like that?" Abberline wondered, chiming in. "Someone who screams an obscenity like that may have been wronged or has found something of a great disliking."

"Grell, go check it out," Salem ordered.

And he did.

Grell Sutcliffe 'winked in' on the front courtyard, appearing right next to Knox

Grell Sutcliffe 'winked in' on the front courtyard, appearing right next to Knox. His sudden appearance resulted in Knox jumping back suddenly, jumpy.

Grell's blood red attire and hair looked for a moment like a sinister demon, that Knox thought Decco had sent after him when he, Thann and Spencer, escaped the Von Strauss Manor. But he was relieved to learn it was one of his fellow - or after William filed that report on him - on of his former colleagues.