Chapter 44: Novelette: Brotherhood Part 4 (end)

BROTHERHOOD: PART 4

As soon as Sebastian said those five little words, the duel began – and Ciel instantly went on the offensive, striking and thrusting forward with his Sabre, attacking swiftly, with deep lunges.

Lukas shifted, avoiding the attacks easily. Then he swung his Tonto up and down, striking down hard upon Ciel's Sabre to cut it in two.

But his utmost shock, the Sabre, surprisingly, remained intact. It didn't break as planned, and not even a knick was carved out of its thin, reedy blade.

Taken aback, Lukas took distance. The Sabre should have broken immediately hit. His plan was to cut Ciel's Sabre in twine to stop the match before it got started. Without a weapon, Ciel would have had to concede - thus the rules of a fair swords match!

It should've broken!

Ciel swung through the air as if wielding an actual sword, slicing the air inches from Lukas's face.

"Fowl!" Lukas protested. "That's against the rules!"

Ciel smirked. "I never hit you, Lukas. Thus it is not against the rules."

Lukas gritted his teeth. Something strange was going on.

He brought up his Tonto to block a strike, pushing Ciel's blade down, then twirled to the left, and took distance.

Ciel again struck hard, and again, Lukas repeated his prior actions. He was on the defensive. Until he knew how Ciel was managing to evade him, he would continue to do so. Ciel's weapon was fragile, and it had nowhere near the strength like that of an actual sword's metallic blade. So how was it undamaged?

They crossed swords, metal clanged. And then he knew something was amiss. The vibration of their swords meeting ran down his arms, his body discomforted. Ciel's Sabre was no ordinary fencing sword, it must have been enhanced: a new form of metal? …or…yes, of course…he had it now.

Jumping back, he gave a quick glance to Sebastian. Sebastian had said earlier: any one of the gallery watching, interfering with the combatants, helping them; that that person would immediately be disqualified. The thought struck him. However, it didn't go to the point of Sebastian helping Ciel before the match.

How clever, brother. You are a very skilled fencer, but you are not this masterful. Very well, Ciel, then two can play at this game. I also planned for such an eventuality.

With a quick glance to the Smythe brothers, Sebastian's sons, Braydon and Brandon nodded softly - their secret plan about to hatch. He had had theorized that Ciel would cheat somehow and went to the brothers, spoke to them on the eventuality. He never thought Ciel would actually go so far as to cheat to win, however.

Already his victory is tainted, Lukas thought. And yet, it was clever in its own rite. Because to accuse Ciel of cheating would disgrace him and Lukas would never do that. Therefore, Ciel would all but win.

Well played, brother. You have thought things out to your advantage. But so have I.

"You are not as good as I had hoped, dear Lukas," Ciel boasted. "I had hoped for better sport from a former assassin and swordsman. Have you lost your touch?"

🎉 You've finished reading 𝙃𝙄𝙎 𝘽𝙐𝙏𝙇𝙀𝙍 𝘼𝙉𝘿 𝙏𝙃𝙀 𝙊𝙍𝙄𝙂𝙄𝙉𝙎 𝙊𝙁 𝘼 𝘿𝙀𝙈𝙊𝙉 🎉