Chapter 17: The Better Part Of Valor

CHAPTER 17 - "THE BETTER PART OF VALOR"

Ciel pushed away from Abberline.

While he did appreciated the inspector's self-sacrifice in protecting them during the explosion, he did not want to be coddled and treated like some helpless child.

Ever since his parents had died, he had to be self-sufficient and he refused to let anyone take that independence away from him. And it was ironic that he would insist on that with Sebastian incapacitated, and that Lukas's preaching of being independent and self-sufficient - or in the very least not relying so on Sebastian and the servants so much - at this very moment, would finally so hold true.

He would do just that.

Mathu Kelvin was a powerful enemy.

Pulled down into the depths of Hell by the Eye of God summoned by Sebastian during their last and thought to be final encounter, Ciel did not know how Mathu Kelvin had returned from an almost certain fate of eternal torture, pain and suffering by Lucifer. But here he was, standing and sizzling with electricity on the front courtyard, demanding Sebastian's presence.

It was regretful that Trent Banes was dead. He and Spencer Von Strauss had saved Abberline from the Illuminati, but no one could have expected Mathu Kelvin's return. He had murdered Trent Banes obviously to prove a point - that he was still as powerful as he was when he fought Sebastian months prior. Filled with the awesome power of not only his own Fallen Reaper abilities, but also that of his beloved wife Savannah, whom he sacrificed and drained of power to become even stronger.

It took the cunning by Sebastian to beat him.

But Sebastian wasn't here now.

Ciel stood on his feet, straight and tall, and arrogantly proud. "I'm afraid Sebastian is dealing with another issue at the moment," he said. "You will have to come back later to get your revenge."

"Don't antagonize him, brother," Lukas said, standing up. Abberline did also. "Sebastian isn't here to help us this time," he said quietly.

"Who or what is that?" Abberline said, instinctively stepping in front of them, as if to shield them again.

"That, my dear man," another voice said, "is a very dangerous man, indeed. That is a Fallen Reaper," stating it outright, without deception. All three turned to look at Salem, or the Undertaker, as Abberline knew him. Next to him stood Grell Sutcliffe, dressed all in his blood red attire and black Reaper glasses, and the translucent, ghostly form of Renfrew Phantomhive. Salem put up a hand to Abberline, knowing what he was about to ask, "All will be explained at an opportune time, Inspector. For the moment, just accept us here."

Abberline nodded, looking at each of the new-comers in turn, especially at the ghost of Renfrew.

"You'll be happy to know, Inspector, that I am one of the 'good guys'," Renfrew said smiling. "Not all ghosts are bad or malicious. Most of us are quite tame and civilized."

"Glad to know that," Abberline said plainly.

"Renfrew Phantomhive. Third cousin once removed."

"Phantomhive?"

Abberline snapped a look at Ciel. "Yes Inspector, he is a relative of ours. But as for being one of 'good guys', that is still up for debate after what he has done recently."