Chapter 27: Surprises

CHAPTER 27 - "SURPRISES"

In their bed chambers, Damascus undressed and chose a light colored shirt from the closet. Unfortunately his only vest had been ruined, so he decided he would only go out with a shirt and a tie, and he bet when morning came along and William was told what he had done, he would insist on buying Damascus a new one. Damascus didn't really care about that, he was happy regardless.

Happy that he had finally found a woman he loved and cherished. And he wondered if he was the first demon to do such a thing and settle down with a human. Probably not, or indeed have coitus with. He had known many demons including Morning Star and even Master Belial who seeded children. But they probably did so in wicked passion, not loving the partner they were with.

Then what did it make him? Was he hypocrite, a demon that fell from grace, because he wasn't a bastard like the rest? That he respected humans for their kindness, their accomplishment, their determination in the face of adversity? Humans weren't just food. They were intelligence creatures. He knew demons and humans could co-exist, he had proven it on many occasions.

He sighed. He was philosophizing again. But he was right.

He put the thought out of his mind and finished dressing and returned to the kitchen, where Bryan had just finished cleaning up and was now preparing food to take out to the wedding guests on a platter.

"How do I look?" he asked Bryan.

Bryan turned from his task and looked at him. He tilted his head, then left his spot, approached him and commenced in fixing his ribbon tie. Damascus accepted the manservant's help. Sometimes he didn't know where he would be without him. Bryan had been so much help in his recovery.

Once finished, Bryan stood back and nodded, exhibiting a hand gesture for "perfection".

"Thank you, Bryan. You are a…Godsend." Damascus found it ironic that he would be using a word like that, but throughout everything he had been through, Bryan had been there helping him with Kassandra at his side, like an angelic being who has been sent down to help a soul in his greatest time of need.

Bryan smiled and bowed low. "If you harm Lady Kassandra in any way, I will kill you," came a voice.

Damascus's mouth dropped open. "What…did you…say? You can talk?"

Bryan smiled again.

Damascus frowned. "I knew I felt an unusual power within this household. It is you."

"You demons are such a nuisance. As everyone here was human, they could not detect my power level. But when you came, I had to make efforts to mask it."

"Who or what are you?"

"I am a being of another nature who took possession of this body some years back when the host contracted leprosy, a normally fatal and fast working disease that there is no cure for."

"Bryan was dying? But he shows no signs of the disease."

"He did, but I cured him of it, but not without a high price. But if it wasn't for that stupid fool of a master he once worked for, the boy would not have contracted it through open sores and wounds that were inflicted upon Bryan through countless beatings and other insidious means."