Chapter 39: Special Short Story: The Gift

BLACK BUTLER Short Story: THE GIFT

Breakfast for the Phantomhive's was a casual affair and Sebastian had prepared a wonderful meal of poached salmon, eggs, toast, with a choice of orange juice or milk.

Ciel chose Earl Grey tea instead.

Tea for Ciel was a normal thing and he was a creature of habit. Lukas chose orange juice while Renny had milk.

But as of late, Renny's digestive system had been in acute distress and it produced highly unfavorable results.

A low but muffled rumbling sounded as the trio sat in the Dining Hall, the silence of the moment giving it an even louder reverberation.

Ciel looked up from his plate, he was seated at the head of the elongated table as Lukas and Renny were on the sides seated next to him.

"What was that?" he demanded.

"What was what, cousin?" Renny said.

"That sound - " Ciel smelt it. "Renny!" he scolded. "That is disgusting!"

Renny's stomach also grumbled unfavorably. His face flushed with embarrassment. "I'm sorry, cousin Ciel. My stomach...hasn't been feeling well."

"I have been conducting research, Master Renfrew," Sebastian said, and stepped forward. He had been standing aside next to a meal trolley. "And I am most assured that you may be lactose intolerant, or rather, Johnny Lazarus's was. I suppose this is one of the many surprises with your new body Altima said would arise."

He went on to explain how dairy products such as milk, eggs, and others can affect the digestive tract of a person susceptible to such a thing and that there really was no explanation for it. "It is like an allergic reaction to certain foods," he said. He suddenly waved a hand in front of his face. Renfrew obviously had attempted to "hide" another attack, albeit in silence. "I believe it will be best to eliminate such foods from your diet, my lord. I will need to make up a list of what foods you can and cannot eat to avoid further occurrences of such a nature."

"Thank you, Sebastian," Renny said, then suddenly had another unavoidable digestive attack and a loud one. What did commoners call it: farting?

Lukas snickered.

Ciel said, "What childish nonsense."

Renny's eyes went wide. "Oh no..." he muttered.

Sebastian stepped away. "Oh no is right, Master Renfrew. I will need to disinfect this chair and add a scented candle in this room to dissipate the smell."

"That's not it. I, um..." He waved Sebastian over. Sebastian covered his nose. Renny whispered something.

"Oh dear," Sebastian said. Then whispered back, "I shall prepare a new change of clothes for you..."