Chapter 36: Talking Truth

CHAPTER 36 - "TALKING TRUTH"

The next morning, First-Inspector Frederick Abberline found himself wakening on the couch of his London town home, not knowing how he got there. But around him were scattered work folders.

He sat up groggy as Marie, his fiancée, walked into the living room with a tray with two cups of tea. She put one cup down in front of him on a table and he slowly reached over and took it, sipping in its lovely aroma. The taste went down his throat with delight. "New tea, Marie?"

"It's honeysuckle," she said. "On my way home this morning from my sister's, I had the urge to pick up some tea, and knowing how hard you were working at the office last night, I thought it would be a welcome change. I was told it relieves stress and induces a calm in the mind."

He nodded, he did feel calm. In fact, he suddenly felt he had a weight lifted off his shoulders as he sipped the tea.

"So, what did Lord Randall have you two working on last night?" she asked. "He's always working you too hard. Didn't he tell you to take a few days off for the Christmas holidays?"

He nodded, but Sir Randall was never that nice. There had to have been an alterative motive behind it, but for the life of him, he couldn't remember or even guess what it may havebeen. In fact, he couldn't recall much of anything for the last couple of days, but something nagged at the back at his mind. He felt he had forgotten something very important, but as he drank some more tea, calmness of his mind resumed and he let it slide.

"Randall is a good person, Marie - he sometimes has a lot on his mind," he said.

"Apparently you do, as well." Marie looked at the debris of file folders scattered throughout the room. "What is all this?" She picked up a file folder and read a subject line from the first page: "Cat Burglar Strikes At Fish Market." She picked up a second folder and read its subject line: "Small Town Crook Streaks Through Meat Market." She read the subject line from an third folder: "Booby-Trap Snares Woman When Overseeing Mice Snaps In Her Home When She Bent Low."

She chuckled, but her voice hinted with annoyance when she spoke again. "These are small time cases. This is what was so important that Sir Randall had to keep you in the office late last night?"

He sipped his cup again, but nodded absent-mindedly. "I guess so?"

The same morning

The same morning...

The servants of the Phantomhive household awoke forgetful of transpiring events of yesterday and days prior regarding anything associated with ghosts and demons and began their duties as usual.