Chapter 26: Lovebirds

CHAPTER 26 - "LOVEBIRDS"

As the days turned into weeks and the weeks turned into months and even into the following year when Spring rolled along in the year AD1667, Damascus found himself still in the stages of a long drawn out healing. Without his souls that Decco had taken from him, his healing was very slow, much like a human's, especially with his severe injuries that would have killed a human very quickly.

But he found himself helping Kassandra, and Bryan, in London's effort to rebuild itself and it was of itself therapeutic. Kassandra particularly took interest in orphaned children who had been displaced, and with William's new wealth, a new orphanage was being built for them with state of the art facilities. The entire city of London as a community tore down old buildings and began to erect new, more sturdier ones, that were better resistant to fires. Even plans to rebuild Saint Paul's Cathedral's were discussed.

Over the last year, he found himself being more at Kassandra's side. But he had suspicions of a being still looming about the family. He not necessarily suspected Bryan any longer, but there was still something different about him that Damascus could not explain.

The power he had first sensed had faded to a small spec now. It meant that this being was becoming more acute in hiding his power. However, he sensed no malicious intent by this power. And perhaps he was wrong about Bryan. If Bryan was hiding something, he would have known Damascus sensed it and attacked him by now to keep his secret, but the young manservant was always kind to him.

But there was something

Despite Kassandra saying that she and her father had plans to live with her brother only temporarily, it appeared her new home was with him and his wife, and her father was very happy about that, too. And even after Damascus's wounds had healed, they wanted him to continue to remain with the family. He was very thankful for their hospitality and accepted, if only to continue to be with Kassandra, and to further advance the very close relationship they shared.

Damascus didn't think it was possible, but over the past year he had fallen in love with Kassandra, and she felt the same way about him. But neither expressed it openly. And after a year of taking care of him, helping him to walk again because he could not put pressure on his feet because of his wounds, his muscles atrophied with so much time spent in the wheel chair, it was like destiny had brought them together.

But, with each passing day, his hunger rose, and he continued to dwell deeper into his well of souls, drawing out what little energy that was there to keep his demon urges at bay.

But it was like pain. If you are distracted enough, you forget about it. And with Kassandra, a different sort of hungry also rose inside him. It was a human hunger and it directed towards her.

His human carnal desires sometimes eclipsed his demon ones and he found himself lusting for her as a human does another. But he was a gentleman and he knew the proper way to act in public. They spent a great deal of time together helping others in the city of London, they were thanked highly by the mayor for their efforts. So they never actually got any alone time, until now.

Kassandra had wanted to go back to her own Boarding House for a visit, to see how things were going, but when they got there, they found that the building had been boarded up and abandoned. Nevertheless, they had come all this way, and he was not going to let her go home empty-handed. So he pulled at one of the nailed boards from the front entrance and ripped it off, using his muscular upper body strength that he had developed in having to use his arms to move around in a wheel-chair all those months. After he was able to walk again, he began to train his body to use all his muscles equally and properly again.