Chapter 31: Forgiveness And Resignation

CHAPTER 31 - "FORGIVENESS AND RESIGNATION"

There were very few lights on in the Phantomhive Mansion - but Thann and Spencer still managed to find their way through its seemingly labyrinth maze of corridors. Thann was quite impressed by the integrate design and somewhat gothic decore of the mansion.

He had heard the original Phantomhive Mansion had burned down more than three years earlier but it was rebuilt brick-by-brick to resemble the old mansion - the same exterior and interior. The remains of the old mansion were out beyond the main grounds, surrounded by a small stream that passed through the property. Ciel Phantomhive's family wealth maintained his accustomed life style, inherited from his parents.

In fact, according to England's richest families, the Phantomhive's were in the top five along with the Von Strauss family. The Phantomhive's were either second or third, he couldn't quite remember. The Von Strauss family was fifth, but there was another family quickly coming up from the sixth family, and if he recalled the name correctly, he believed that family name was Trancy and its sole heir was named Alois, a fourteen year old boy with a flare for the over-dramatics. But he did have a uncle who over-sought a lot of the family fortune, or claimed to do so...but it was Alois Trancy that lain claim to his parent's estate.

However, the Phantomhive's were beyond rich, stinking rich, as some would say. And when it came to influence within the Magistrate and with the Queen - Ciel taking over his father's unofficial mantle as her royal guard dog - Thann would have to say, the Phantomhive's indeed surpassed all easily.

The Funtom Cooperation among other subsidiary businesses kept funding their wealth. And with Lukas Phantomhive consistently drumming up dealings with his suave business sense, the Phantomhive's not only had the toy market sealed, but they were also expanding into the food and clothing industry, among others.

Weeks ago, Lukas Phantomhive had even asked for a meeting with the Von Strauss family to possibly strike up a business partnership in their leather business. Their father had not decided, and with the recent investigation by Inspector Abberline involving Lukas Phantomhive at the time with information fed by Spencer, he was probably more concerned about the connection with the Illuminati, that the meeting with the Phantomhive's to talk business was not among his first priorities.

But anyone who was in business with the Phantomhive's had a good future. Every other business associated with the Phantomhive's showed a large profit margin due to their brand and quality name.

And now Thann was the head of the Von Strauss family. With his father dead, perhaps it was time he looked into seeking new allies to help his family business expand. He had vowed to fully disassociate himself from the Illuminati and all its members. If he kept his mouth shut maybe they would leave him alone. But he was only hopeful thinking. Nothing stopped the Illuminati once they made up their minds and if they indeed, as he assumed they might, come after him for what he knew about them, it was best to make certain assurances to keep the legacy of the Von Strauss family alive.

Perhaps along with a business association would also come other perks...like maybe protection? As Sebastian Michaelis was the Phantomive's butler, and a demon, could be also be persuaded to help them with the Illuminati like he did with Ciel Phantomhive against the Inner Circle? But the Inner Circle were nothing compared to the Illuminati and he wondered if one demon would even be a match against them?