Chapter 43: Novelette: Brotherhood Part 3

BROTHERHOOD: PART 3

Dawn had com and Lukas Phantomhive was an early riser.

In fact, he had slept little that night. His mind raced with everything that could happen during his and Ciel's duel, and everything that could go wrong. And one mishap could hurt either one of them, their weapons sharp.

Sebastian had not come to his room last night to read his dreams like he often did, but Lukas's own thoughts kept him awake. A good, warm cup of tea gave him the energy he needed this morning. Earl Grey, his favorite.

Lukas didn't want to hurt his brother, so he thought of ways of not harming him. His mind was trained to think like an enemy and then out-maneuver him, to use his own strengths against him. An opponent's strength could become his own weakness if one was trained to use them to his own advantage.

The point being, he wanted Ciel to stop obsessing that he was better. Lukas didn't want his power. Ciel will always been head of the family, this was certain. He had already earned it.

Lukas stood on the back grounds of the property awaiting Ciel, his Tonto still in its box. He would not remove it until Ciel arrived. And even so, he would attempt to convince his brother otherwise, to stop the duel before it began. He had had enough violence in his short time. And brother versus brother was something he did not want. Ever!

Renfrew held Vincent in his arms and stood next to Braydon and Brandon as observers.

The sun was slowly rising over the horizon basking the brought in a bright, orange hue. Not a cloud was in the sky. And birds were chirping as if it were just another, uneventful day.

And yet, Ciel and Sebastian were nowhere to be seen.

"Where's cousin Ciel?" Renfrew asked, sounding a little annoyed. "I woke early for this duel, we all did! Cousin Ciel issued this challenge!"

Lukas gritted his teeth. Yes, he did. You did issue this challenge, Ciel, and now you keep me waiting? Or is this some psychological ploy on your point?

Vincent wiggled out of Renfrew's arms, ran towards the Manor. He turned transparent and jumped through the wall. Vincent didn't need to use doors, he was a ghost cat.

Lukas turned to Renfrew. "He's gone to see why the delay," Renfrew explained.

Sebastian was in the lower levels of the Manor, in the kitchen preparing breakfast - where Vincent found him

Sebastian was in the lower levels of the Manor, in the kitchen preparing breakfast - where Vincent found him. The cat voiced a low growl. The butler turned and looked down.