[Chapter 1] Hiding:

Never Normal [Chapter 1] Hiding: {Warning: Slight Self Harm Mentioned- You're Fine Skipping This Chapter if Necessary}

There was a small knock on the door, followed by a quiet, "Kai..?"

Kai could tell it was Nya's voice, "Kai are you alright?"

There was a pause before he replied, "Yeah.. I'm fine.. Why do you ask..?"

"Because you missed breakfast and morning training.. We're worried for you.."

"There is nothing to be worried about, Nya! So what? I missed ONE day of training. That's all."

"It's just not like you to-"

"I'm fine sis."

There were small mumbles until the fire ninja heard Jay's voice, "Bro, you're not alright."

"I'm. Fine."

"No you're not. I can tell. Do you have a cold?"

"No.."

"You can ask Sensei for some time off if you do-"

"I said I'm fine okay?!"

It went quiet for a moment before he heard footsteps leaving. Sighing, he curled up into a ball under the blankets, "It's not a cold..."

A while later, there was another knock on the door. The fire ninja groaned and said, "Go AWAY guys.. I'm fine.."

"Kai?"

It wasn't Nya.

It wasn't Jay.

It was Lloyd..

Little, sweet, innocent Lloyd..

Kai quickly wiped away the tears that were dried on his cheeks and sniffed his nose, trying to act brave for the younger ninja. Getting up, he opened the door and looked down at the destined green one, "Hey Squirt.."

"I heard from Nya that you weren't feeling good, so I came to cheer you up!"

Kai looked at the boy who had a large smile plastered on his face, and returned the smile. He let Lloyd in and they sat on the bed, talking about their past experiences. They had chatted for about half an hour when Kai yawned and stretched, his long sleeves falling down his arms. Lloyd looked at them and noticed some red welts and blood dried on them, "Kai...? Wh-What are those..?"

Kai flinched and immediately put his arms down, hiding them, "H-Huh..?"

"Those burns on your arms.. What were they..?"

"Oh, uh.. I accidentally burnt myself while training.."

"Oh..."

Kai mentally sighed and went back to talking with Lloyd, careful to keep his arms down.

But soon came dinner time. Lloyd hopped off the bed and went to the door, looking back at Kai with eyes asking 'Aren't you coming?'

But as soon as Kai's spirit was lifted, it dropped. Kai slightly shook his head 'no' and Lloyd nodded, understanding. But, Kai noticed something else in the nod...

Disappointment...

Lloyd left for dinner quietly, but when he came back after, he brought food with him for the red ninja. This was their way of life for a month and a half, until one morning Lloyd knocked at the door... and there was no answer...