Chapter: 1

"Blake! Get your ass down here now!" My brother Greg yells at me. He's upset, I can tell by the tone of his voice. Well he's always upset but this time he sounds furious. I throw on a red hoodie to cover my cuts and bruises before heading down to see my brother in the kitchen.

"What is this?" He seethes and pushes me into the counter. It's nothing new at least he's going easy on me this time. Still I don't know what he's talking about. I did everything he asked me to. The house was sparkling clean due to me spending an entire day cleaning it. His dinner was made early and in the microwave in case he got hungry. Even the dog was fed.

"Why do you have a F in English class? We speak the damn language." Who is he? My father? Better yet my mother? Rolling my eyes, I look at him and shrug. Maybe if he didn't keep me home almost everyday, beating the living crap out of me I could actually pass with at least a B. Apparently my silence isn't an acceptable answer as Greg slaps me across the face pretty hard. That'll leave a mark for sure. Good thing I picked up some spare makeup on the way home.

Of course the lady at the cash register looked at me funny but who gives a shit? My brother beats me up every second and I need to hide it. Simple as that. I didn't tell her that though, since she soon assumed that the makeup was for my sister or girlfriend. That made enough since so I went with that. Greg being the idiot he is thought I was over at some girls house instead of at home making him dinner. He can honestly make it himself or starve. School is exhausting enough why add an abusive brother to the list.

"I didn't do a essay that she assigned. That brought my grade down by a lot as you can clearly see."

"Why didn't you do it?" He glares at me. Why didn't you get run over the other day? I say in my head. Both answers are obvious.

"Go to your room. You're so worthless why did mom and dad even decide to keep you" he continues. I wonder the same thing Greg. Why didn't they just throw you away in the hospital garbage can. Who does he think he is anyway?

"Go to hell" I mutter lowly. Obviously not low enough because Greg still manages to hear me. The universe is against me today and every other day. I begin to walk away pretending that I didn't say a word but I guess my older brother has different plans. He yanks me back by my short, dark hair and slams me back against the counter. If you want me counter just say so.

Greg takes off his belt and turns me around, my backside now facing him. I already knew the deal and proceeded to take off my hoodie. Unfortunately I didn't have a shirt on underneath which gave my brother the opportunity to strike. He lifts the belt then strikes it down on my back. My backside is already covered with cuts and welts but I guess that's not enough for my older brother.

I wince at the pain and my brother laughs. The bastard does this almost everyday. It's like he gets a kick out of this. Why can't I just be in foster care? I'd rather be there then here with goofy. After a couple more strikes my brother pushes me to the floor and proceeds to kick me. I cover my sides, not caring about my face. I don't need anymore broken ribs or the doctors and nurses might start to question me. If Greg ever finds out about that then I'm as good as dead.

He gets more kicks in before telling me to go and clean up. Quickly, I get up and run to my room. Why did I have to be stuck with him? Out of all the people in the world, I get stuck with Greg. Getting angry, I yell and push stuff off my desk. They're innocent but I'm upset and need to let out this feeling. Greg scampers up the steps, making me lock my door. He's not getting in here and I really don't want to deal with him. Looking around I decide to leave this shithole. Just for the rest of the day.

I don't even think as I unlock my window and climb out. It's a short jump so I shouldn't be anymore injured then I already am. Counting to three, my body acts on its own as I jump off the roof of my house. I safely make it and run off in a different direction. I just need to get away. Away from this life, even if it's for a few minutes.