Chapter 38

Flashback

As I hit the red button, I didnt stop running towards the light. I felt the heat hit me and at the same time my body hit the glass with full force sending me flying with the force of the explosion. All the water tanks exploded from the heat dousing me with the water and I gasped for air as I clumsily got to my feet still disoriented. My ears were ringing but I ran, as I pressed the button again. This time the explosion was bigger and another shockwave sent me back to the ground even though I was a good distance away at this point. Maybe if those tanks of water werent there I would have been burnt to a crisp. My clothes were already on fire until the tanks burst. It barely got time to burn me but thankfully they were there.

I ran through the thick forest taking cover as the last explosion set of a chain reaction. I wasn't aware of how much explosives were on the compound. Hell, if I hadn't decided to run I wouldn't have made it.

My body was running on adrenaline and shock because I couldn't feel a thing. I watched as the building went up in flames and explosions followed after eachother. Okay....I wasn't aware that the warehouse was that equipped with explosives but from what I saw I knew it had enough to do a lot of damage. This....this was way more than I anticipated but hey, no complaints and to top it off I'm alive.

I decided that running would be my best option and I did just that. I ran for god know how long and I finally collapsed when my feet couldn't go any farther. At the back of my mind I knew I wasn't okay because I was beaten to a pulp, got burnt and was bleeding which I managed to keep under control. I didnt feel anything and it scared me because I knew I should.

As I laid on the bank of the river listening to the flowing water and my shallow breathing, my eyes closed slowly.

This is it, I'm dying I thought to myself. I found myself thinking about everyone in my life, I said goodbye to the one who didn't give a shit about me but I didnt want to die and still hate him. I didnt hate him. The one I love, I didnt get to say goodbye but I hope he knows that I did.

++

My eyes opened and I immediately tried to get up only to have someone push me back down. My sight had gone and I felt weak. I blacked out for a bit and when I woke up again there was a man looking at me worriedly.

"Hey hey, relax you're okay, you're safe," he said calmly patting my head which somewhat comforted me.

My body relaxed and that's when I felt the pain hit me. He frowned and injected something into the ivy and I felt my pain disappearing.

"My name is Florence, I'm a doctor at StJudes Medical Research Center/Hospital. I found you by the river, you're a long way from any signs of civilization kid. You're lucky I decided to come on this stupid research trip afterall," he chuckled and I groaned.

He frowned and helped me sit up.

"I'm Hunter," I croaked out and I had trouble believing that was my voice.

"Well then Hunter, you're a strong ass human, do you remember what happened to you?" He asked pouring out some water in a cup for me and I shook my head no.

I do but I can't just tell him can't I?

He placed the cup to my mouth and I downed the entire glass.

"Oh god, I need to get home," I said wide eyed.

They probably think I'm dead! Thats going to cause a shit ton of trouble.

"Easy easy, you need to rest," he said sternly and I groaned as my body felt sore.

Reluctantly I laid back down trying to process my next move.