18

The three sat in Cherry's dorm all day, typing out encrypted emojis and doing things on their phones, including making very up close mug shots of each other which ended up with yet another pillow fight. Fred and George had finally gotten the hang of muggle texting, and had a good laugh while at it.

The next morning, since it was Saturday, Luna and Cherry decided to sneak into Hogsmeade with the help of the twins map, which she had recently learned that Remus Lupin, her pretend dad, had made, so that the two could get dresses for the Yule ball.

Luna had been asked by Neville to the ball. Cherry wasn't so fond of wearing a gown, or a dress in general, since she was always more of a skirts and jeans person, so she just decided she was going to buy something smaller.

Speaking of dads, she still hadn't heard from Sirius Black, who happened to be her father. She was starting to get a bit worried, but she was trying to be patient. After all, he had just gotten out of Azkaban, and still time to do whatever people escaping from Azkaban do.

She had asked Remus about it earlier that week, and he had said that Sirius just needed some time to get back on his feet before interacting with either of them further, and Cherry trusted Remus so she decided it be best if she waited some more.

She was quite anxious about it, but there wasn't anything she could do. It had been weeks since their meeting in the Gryffindor common room, and she didn't know if he was going to bail, or actually put an effort in. Little did she know, what his true intentions were.

"Luna! Wait up!" Cherry shook all thoughts related to Sirius Black out of her mind and ran to catch up with her giggling blonde best friend who was skipping up ahead to one of the clothing stores, pointing to the dresses in the display mirrors.

"Look at that one!" she yelled as Cherry caught up with her, panting and laughing.

"Let's go inside," Cherry giggled, tugging on Luna's arm as they left the snow covered streets of the village and into the little store with dresses on racks everywhere.

The two girls started picking out dresses for themselves and each other, the clothing hangers piling up in their arms.

The store was mostly empty, just the sixteen year old and the fourteen year old, the store owner and two other people looking at necklaces.

"Cherry, look what I found!" Luna said, appearing from behind rack, a black dress in her hands. "I think it's perfect for you!"

And yes, it was, as the pink haired girl took the dress in her hands, feeling the soft fabric in her hands.

"Go try it on!"

When Cherry reached over to take the black dress from her hands, her fingers brushed against hers, and Luna blushed the tiniest bit, her heart pounding as did the pink haired girl who went inside one of the changing rooms.

Cherry looked at herself in the mirror as she did a little twirl in the dress Luna had picked out for her. It was a pitch black and ruby red color, and reached just above her knees, a bit longer in the back, and strapless, with rose shaped sequins sewed in on the waistline, the skirt made of silk and lace.

"I think you look stunning," Luna said in her sing song voice from besides her. She too, was wearing a dress that Cherry had picked out, a yellow one, the skirt reaching right at her knees, the flouncy ruffles along her neckline.

"I think you look rad yourself," she replied, the corners of her lips turning up into a little smile.

And she did, Luna really did, the way her curly blonde hair tumbled down her back and one side of her bangs were held back with a little yellow flower clip, perfectly matching her dress.