Chapter 6

As stunning as the wedding dress is, I can't help but feel nauseated while looking at it. It's just another representation of Snow using me. The flowing lace tickles my arms as I walk up to Cinna and embrace him.

-"Thank you," I mumble into his ear, "It's beautiful."

-"You will be twirling tonight," he explains "but save it for the end. I'll tell you when, if you need me to."

I just hug him tighter. I eventually release him and he pats my arm. I arrive backstage and see Haymitch wearing a burgundy suit.

-"Nice dress." He says, but I can't tell if he's being sarcastic.

-"I'm assuming you knew about this?" He just laughs and walks away.

I watch as 22 tributes find some way to persuade the audience that the games should be canceled. From legality, to love, to plain old aggression.

-"Katniss Everdeen!" Caesar calls out my name, signaling me to come up on stage. I put on my best winning smile as the audience cheers. Snow can hate me as much as he wants, but the Capitol will always adore me.

Caesar is his normal, peppy, over exaggerating self and I play along. Suddenly, he calms down and asks the question everyone was wondering about: my wedding dress.

-"Am I correct to assume that this is the dress you would have worn that day?"

-"Yes. President Snow wanted everyone to see it. Isn't it gorgeous?" I stand up and start to twirl. Flames engulf me, I stand in front of the audience, among all the pearls that had fallen from me, discovering an entirely new dress. The brilliant white was now black, feathers were everywhere and my flowing lace had been replaced with wings. I'm fascinated until I realize what this means. Cinna has turned me into a mockingjay. What has he done?

I try to look unbothered by this as Caesar screams in astonishment. The buzzer resonates through the room and Caesar bids me goodnight. I walk pack to my seat and try to make eye contact with Haymitch, but he ignores me. Does he have some sort of trick on his sleeve, since Peeta isn't getting interviewed this time? My heart beats rapidly after every question, waiting for Haymitch to drop some sort of bomb, but he never does. The buzzer sounds once more, and Haymitch sits by me again. The interview ends just like it started, and we go back to our quarters. After that, I am suspicious of everything, even though I have no real reason. Haymitch and Peeta avoid each other's eye contact the entire night, and even Effie seems confused. When we finish eating, Haymitch leaves without saying anything to any of us.

-"Manners!" Effie mutters, knowing that Haymitch was too far to hear her. I wish Effie a goodnight and smile to Peeta, making sure he knows to come to my room, as I leave. He protects me from the awful nightmares once more, and I sleep peacefully, enjoying my last few nights without the presence of my nightmares.