Chapter 12

As soon as I step out of my living compartment, a District 13 soldier approaches me.

-"Miss Everdeen," he states, "Follow me please."

I reluctantly follow him, knowing that refusing would only cause more trouble. I walk behind him as he navigates through the gray hallways. He guides me to the end of a hallway, where two guards stand in front of a doorway. We both enter, but he stays at the corner of the room while I walk inside. I see Peeta sitting at the table in the middle of the room, smiling at me reassuringly. I sit next to him and finally lift my head up to examine the room. Plutarch and who I recognize as Alma Coin sit in front of me, staring at me intently. To my surprise, Gale stands in a corner, mirroring the soldier who brought me here. I don't recognize any of the other people around the table, so I focus on Coin, Plutarch and Peeta.

-"Miss Everdeen," President Coin starts, "I would just like to start by saying, welcome to District 13. I hope you will be able to feel at home here. This is a safe place where you can recover."

I express no reaction to her words. As welcoming as she's trying to be, it is clear she has no idea what I have been through. Peeta tenses up beside me, knowing she has irritated me, and probably him as well.

-"However, there is something we need to discuss. As you know, the revolution has begun. We have been prepared for this for several years, however other districts haven't been. We need you to convince these districts to join us, and fight with us. We cannot invade the Capitol until we have all of the districts by our side."

-"I don't understand, how do I have anything to do with this?" I ask, puzzled.

-"Because, Katniss," Plutarch takes over, "You started it all."

As confused as I am, I know what he's talking about. It's what President Snow had warned me about, and what I had told him I didn't want: a war. After all this time of convincing everyone that pulling out those berries was an act of love, I am being asked to do the exact opposite. Since I don't speak, they continue.

-"People look up to you. Once they see that you support this movement, they will follow."

He continues talking, but his words just pound through my head. I run out of the room, ignoring the voices calling out for me.

-"Katniss," Peeta places his hand on my shoulder gently. "It's okay, you don't need to do anything you don't want to do."

My breathing keeps increasing in speed and I cover my ears with my hands, trying to block out the sounds in my mind. He softly presses my head against his chest, stroking my head and mumbling. I slowly remove my hands.

-"I don't know what to do." I whisper.

-"You don't have to do anything if you don't want to." He says, hugging me.