Chapter 24

I have been avoiding both Peeta and Gale recently, and after a few failed attempts, they both gave up on speaking to me. Instead, I spend time with Haymitch, Johanna, Finnick and Enobaria. It's odd, really, how much we all have in common, and yet we are all so different. Finnick is still hanging onto the hope that we will be able to rescue Annie soon, and I've heard Coin is planning another rescue. They won't let me go this time though. It was too close last time. Johanna is ranting on about an annoying rat she found in her room, but I zone out once I see someone from across the room. Peeta. With a girl. I had seen her around before, she definitely looks familiar. She has bland features and a classic merchant's kid look. A name comes to mind: Delly Cartwight. Haymitch lightly shoves me, probably seeing what I am looking at. He chuckles.

-"What?" I ask.

-"You're jealous!" he gets out between laughs.

-"What?? No I'm not!"

-"You were staring at that girl like you wanted to shoot an arrow through the back of her head."

-"No I wasn't!" I whisper, but a bit too harshly and loudly because Johanna jumps in.

-"Katniss, we've all known this since the beginning," she laughs "You love that boy."

I don't say anything. It's not something I can deny. I care about Peeta. Before I can decipher my thoughts, I feel a tight grasp on my shoulder.

-"Gale, stop." It's obvious to me who the presence behind me is.

-"Katniss, we need to talk."

I try to shove him off but his hand remains firm.

-"Gale, I told you to stop!" I stand up and shove him out of the way to get to my compartment.

-"Katniss?" I hear a voice say, accompanied by a light knock on the door. "Katniss, it's Peeta. We don't need to talk if you don't want to but I just wanted to check on you."

It takes a second for me to react, but once I do I tiptoe to the door and slide it open. His neutral expression shifts to one of concern once he sees my bloodshot eyes and the trace of my tears on my cheeks. I bury my face in his chest and he wraps his arms around me. He slowly guides me back to my bed. I sit cross-legged, facing him.

-"Katniss, if you ever need someone to talk to, I'm here."

And unlike anything I thought I would do, I start talking.

-"I just can't believe that we're in a full-blown civil war, and the main thing I'm worrying is you two idiots!" I shout. Tears start streaming down again, and I calm down.

-"Katniss," Peeta starts, "You don't need to worry about me."

-"I'm not worrying about you," I say, "I'm worrying about us."

He looks confused, and honestly I am too, but he kisses back when I press my lips to his.